- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Simplest Vanilla Sponge Cake with Candy Toppings
My First Attempt at Cake Making
To begin it was my husband's birthday and also my Test day!
I got up early, wished him and as for his birthday gift, I thought and thought and Viola! An idea flashed in my brain. Why not cook him his favorite delicacies! I remembered the famous saying: "The way to a man's heart is directly through his stomach". So my effort will surely win his heart! One after the other many of my husband's favorite Bengali dishes got prepared. I got elated at the outcome. At one point of time my husband came to me and said quietly; "Can you bake a birthday cake for me?"I remembered every year his mother used to bake him a nice fluffy birthday cake and he used to love and eat it like a little kid. This year it was different. My husband got transferred for his job to U.S.A while my in-laws are staying in India. To make matters worse I had not baked a single cake so far. I got really worried. Well there were numerous recipes on the net. I scurried through them hurriedly and boldly produced a cake whose other name was Disaster. My husband is and was always a polite gentleman. He felt I would be upset if he did not praise me enough for my endeavor and he went to great lengths to praise me which embarrassed me further. The very next day I called up my mom-in-law and asked for the Sponge Cake recipe which she often makes. I saw, I made some basic mistakes which almost everyone makes during his/her first baking attempt. Now let me clarify them one by one so that no body else repeat the same mistake that I did and effortlessly create a Vanilla Sponge Cake at one go.
Interesting Cake Facts
- The word "cake" originates from Middle English word "kake".
- "Gateau", the French word for cake refers to a tasty dish with meat inside.
- Sponge cake is also known as foam cakes.
- The first birthday cake that was ever made was given as an offering.
- Inspite of the name "Cheesecake", it is not a at all a cake.
Some important information before baking a cake
- Cake making is an art in itself. You have to be very accurate with the measurements of the ingredients. A little bit of carelessness with the measurements can produce a big difference.
- Baking powder is a must-have ingredient in making cake. It makes the cake fluffy. Do not overlook this part.
- Do not pour a large amount of vanilla extract into the cake mix. It can make the cake mix taste bitter.
- Blending all ingredients properly is really an important task. You have to blend them thoroughly for around 10-15 mins before pouring the batter in a cake pan to bake.
- Always bake the cake in a baking pan. Grease the pan well with oil spray and all purpose flour before pouring the batter.
- Do not over-bake the cake. The cake can turn hard. Approximate baking time should be around 30-35 mins.
- Once baked cool the cake first before adding any frosting on it.
Please do take a moment to rate my recipe
Now I will discuss in details how to make the easiest and simplest vanilla sponge cake with candy toppings to compliment it.
- 2 cups All purpose flour
- 2 cups Sugar, powdered
- 2 Eggs, fresh
- 3/4th cup White Oil
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- 2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 1/2 cup Milk
- 2 teaspoon Baking Powder
- 1/2 cup Raisins
- 1/2 cup Almonds, chopped
- 1 packet Round Candies, multi-colored
- Preheat oven to 350 degree Fahrenheit.
- In the meantime beat well eggs, sugar and white oil with a hand blender.
- Take a large bowl and mix all purpose flour, salt and baking powder. Slowly pour in the egg blend. Keep on blending.
- While you are blending add raisins and chopped almonds into the batter.
- Finally add vanilla extract into the batter. Give it a good blend for around 15 mins.
- Grease a 9 inch round baking pan with oil spray and flour. Pour in the batter.
- Before putting the pan into the oven you can decorate the top of the batter with raisins and almonds.
- Finally bake it for around 35 mins. Once the baking is over insert a toothpick in the middle of the cake to see whether the cake is completely baked or not. If not, bake it for few more minutes as per requirements.
- After baking, cool the cake on the cooling rack for around 10-15 mins.
- Carefully transfer the cake on a plate .
- Decorate it further with rich and colorful round candies. Your Vanilla Sponge Cake with Candy topping is ready to be served. Happy Eating guys!
|Serving size: 1 piece|
|Calories from Fat||27|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 3 g||5%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 2 g|
|Carbohydrates 37 g||12%|
|Protein 5 g||10%|
|Cholesterol 107 mg||36%|
|Sodium 145 mg||6%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- If you cannot stand the egg smell of the sponge cake, mix 1 tablespoon of honey in the cake batter.
- Once you refrigerate this cake, the cake tends to become hard. Next time before serving the cake microwave it for about 15-30 seconds. The cake will regain its natural softness.
- Store the cake in a cake tin.
Eggless Sponge Cake
If you want to avoid eggs and make your sponge cake with no eggs, here is a good video for you.
© 2014 Deblina Banerjee