- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Simply delicious shrimp spring rolls
Easy to make shrimp spring rolls
I love making these shrimp spring rolls, they take very little time to prepare and roll. After a while you really get the hang of rolling these and can make tons at one sitting. The ingredients are all fresh which is what makes these so delicious. I personally love the taste of basil and cilantro so I encourage you to add more if you like a stronger flavor of these two awesome herbs, if not then cut back a bit when you add them to the mixture.
I am always trying to make foods that are low sodium or salt free because of my husband's diet. He is diabetic and just had a heart valve replaced, so it is so important to cut back on sodium. With all the fresh vegetables and very low carbs in the wrappers, this is a great recipe for eating healthy, except for the frying of course. So make sure you soak up all the oil after they are finished frying. Another alternative is to bake these in the oven on a wire rack, just brush on a small amount of olive oil on each roll and bake for approximately 15 minutes on 400 degrees.
Now, I encourage you to use different ingredients such as pork instead of the shrimp or even chicken, or just use the vegetables, get creative and have fun - your family is going to love you for it. After you make these a few times you will want to add your own favorite ingredients to the mix - don't be afraid, that's how great recipes are started!
In these step by step instructions I will show you how to make these in no time at all. So gather all your ingredients and lets get started shall we?
- 1-cup Shrimp, cooked & cut into pieces
- 1/2 cup snap peas, cut into thirds
- 1/4 cup green onions, finely chopped
- 1 package bean sprouts
- 1/2 carrot, shredded
- Bunch Cilantro, chopped
- 3 fresh bay leaves, chopped
- 3 tbsp soy sauce, low sodium
- 1/2 tsp Mrs. Dash extra spicy seasoning, salt free
- 1 package cabbage, shredded
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ginger, finely grated
- 1 egg, beaten
- 3 tbsp flour
- 1/3 cup oil, for frying
- 1 package Individually Spring roll wrappers
Mix it all up!
- The shrimp should be cooked already. So grab a large glass bowl and begin adding your ingredients one at a time, shrimp, snap peas, bean sprouts, green onions, shredded carrots, cabbage, grated ginger, cilantro, basil and toss gently. At this point you will begin to smell the awesome aroma of all the herbs, so refreshing.
- Add the soy sauce at the end along with the red chile peppers. If you like hot foods you may be more generous with the sprinkling of the peppers to your tasting.
- Set some aluminum foil in the area where you will be wrapping the rolls. Take the egg and place in a small bowl and beat, then add small amounts of flour until the mixture is a glue like consistency.
- Take one of the wrappers and lay out on the foil, add about a tablespoon and a half of the mixture. Begin to roll tightly for a couple of times then take the right side and fold in, then the left side and fold in, then take the flat end of the teaspoon and dip into the egg mixture and spread some of it on the end of the wrapper. Finish rolling to end . There it's really easy but practice a bit and you will get really good at it - promise. The egg mixture helps to seal the wrapper and keep it from opening when you fry them.
- To fry, add some olive oil about 1" into a pan, set on medium heat. When hot place the rolls in and heat for approximately 1-1/2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Make sure you lay on a paper towel to remove the remainder of the oil. Serve with sweet and sour sauce or chili sauce - they are delicious.
- You can also freeze these delicous spring rolls for a few months, but I guarantee you will want them fresh and will want to fry them right away - Enjoy!
Similar recipe but gives you the basic information
- Best ever teriyaki stir fry salmon
This has to be the best salmon stir fry recipe I have ever encountered, simply delicious!
- How to make delicious pork lumpia
My own delicious recipe for pork lumpia. This is great for pot lucks or any other type of parties, they will be a big hit.
- Some of my favorite Mexican food recipes
I wanted to share some of my moms recipes that I loved as a kid in south Texas. She made homemade tamales and they were amazing!! So enjoy these delicious recipes and make them for your family!