- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- Southeast Asian Cuisine
Sinigang: A Filipino Staple
There seems to be a move to push a dish to become the national Filipino dish. It's a toss between adobo and sinigang. Well... adobo is slowly climbing its way to international popularity as many foreigners who come to this country are readily taken by its vinegary taste. And many Filipino expats abroad who have ventured into the restaurant business swear that adobo is one of its best-sellers.
When it comes to a show of hands, I'd vote for sinigang anytime, not because I don't like adobo... it's just because I've had my time with this dish in my college days. Adobo is a dish cooked in vinegar which is deemed to be a preservative so we always have adobo in large amounts in our boarding house because we did not want to be bothered by cooking and preparing meals.during exams when we need to cram. I have never been so keen about adobo since then. So let's go back to sinigang. My favorite is beef sinigang but pork and shrimp sinigang are also great.
Here is a delicious recipe for Beef Sinigang!
- 1 package Sinigang Mix
- 1 kilo Beef Chuck, cut into cubes
- 1 pc Red Onion, sliced
- 4 pcs Tomatoes, sliced
- 1 bunch String beans, cut 2
- 1 pc Radish, cut diagonally
- 3 medium pcs Gabi (taro), peeled and quartered
- 1 small bunch KangKong (swamp cabbage), use tops and leaves only
- 5 pcs Long Green Peppers, use whole
- 1 pc eggplant, cut diagonally
Cooking time may vary depending on whether beef is pressure cooked or not.
- Prep time: 15 min
- Cook time: 45 min
- Ready in: 1 hour
- Yields: Serves 5-6 people
- Pressure cook beef for about 15 to 20 minutes. If you don't want to use pressure cooker, it may take an hour or more of cooking to make the beef tender.
- In a pot, saute onions, tomatoes, and tender beef. Add in the beef stock (from pressure cooker). Add the gabi and let boil. Add sinigang mix. When gabi is tender, add radish, string beans, and eggplant. Simmer.
- Add kangkong leaves and long green peppers. Season with fish sauce to taste.
- Serve with hot steaming rice.