Skirt Steak Recipe
Skirt Steak is a less tender but very flavorful cut of beef. It is a long, flat cut of beef taken from the diaphragm muscle. When cooked properly it is quite delicious and versatile. Skirt Steak is yummy in a Philly Cheese Steak Sandwich and is a great choice when making Steak Fajitas.
It is best to sear Skirt Steak quickly in an iron skillet or on a grill. Skirt Steak can also be braised. It is often Marinaded to make it even more flavorful. Skirt Steak is cut across the grain for maximum tenderness.
Skirt Steak Marinade
- 1/2 cup Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Lime Juice
- 1/3 cup Soy Sauce
- 1/2 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
- 1/2 tsp. Ground Cumin
- 3 tbs. Dark Brown Sugar
- 4 Scallions cut in half
- 2 Cloves of Garlic
Place all ingredients in a blender and puree.
2 lbs. Skirt Steak
- Cut the Skirt Steak into 3 equal pieces and place in a large zip-lock bag
- Pour pureed Marinade into the bag and remove air while sealing
- Make sure the Skirt Steak is completely covered with the marinade
- Lay the bag flat in the fridge for at least 1 hour or anywhere up to 24 hours.
Cooking a Skirt Steak
- Cover the bottom of a skillet with Olive Oil
- Remove Skirt Steak from the Marinade and shake excess off
- Use medium high heat to crisply brown steak on both sides.
Remember to slice the Skirt Steak thinly and across the grain.