Slow Cooker Apple Crumble Recipe
Apple Crumble - An Easy and Comforting Dessert
Apple crumble is a simple and delicious dessert. The combination of warm apples, cinnamon and a topping made with ingredients like brown sugar, oats and butter is hard for many people to resist. It is the ideal comfort food on a cold fall or winter day - or really anytime!
Cooking apple crumble in a slow cooker is incredibly easy and will make your house smell incredible. Try this easy recipe with just five ingredients the next time you're craving a warm and comforting dessert, and see what you think.
For those cooks who like to experiment, I've also included suggestions below for recipe variations, including ways to make this basic recipe healthier or more indulgent.
Best Varieties of Apples to Use for Apple Crumble
When making apple crumble, you'll get better results if you use an apple variety that is recommended for baking. These apples will hold their shape better and not get mushy like some of the other varieties do.
Some of the best varieties of apples to use in apple crumble are:
- Granny Smith
- Royal Gala
Using a combination of two or more varieties of apples will give your crumble more flavour and depth.
Ingredients for Easy Slow Cooker Apple Crumble
- 5 large apples, peeled and sliced into thin wedges
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- Grease the crockpot with butter or cooking spray.
- Place the apple slices on the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Sprinkle the apples with cinnamon.
- Mix together the softened butter, oats and brown sugar and pour over the apples in the slow cooker.
- Put the lid on the slow cooker and cook on the low setting for 3-5 hours.
- Serve and enjoy warm. Serve with vanilla ice cream or top with whipped cream, if desired.
Rate this recipe
This recipe is easily adjusted for a change of taste or texture, or to make it healthier or more indulgent.
- You can use other fruits, instead of the apples or in addition to the apples. Good choices are peaches, pears, blueberries or raspberries.
- You can also replace some or all of the brown sugar with white sugar, but I highly recommend the brown sugar.
- You can add other spices such as nutmeg or ginger.
- Many apple crumble recipes contain flour. I left it out, but you can add in 1/2 cup of flour if you prefer.
- You can add a handful of chopped nuts to this recipe - walnuts or pecans work best.
To make it healthier:
- use less sugar
- add a couple of tablespoons of flax seed or wheat bran
- add more fruit
- add some peeled, chopped zucchini (it sounds crazy but you can't really tell the difference from the apples once it's all cooked)
To make it more indulgent:
- add more sugar
- add maple syrup
- add a teaspoon of pure vanilla extract
- top it with caramel sauce
- serve with ice cream or whipped cream (is this really an option?)
I hope you'll try this easy recipe for slow cooker apple crumble and let me know what you think.
One final tip: If you happen to have any leftovers, they are great served as a special treat for breakfast the next day!