- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Slow Cooker Cubed Steak and Onions
I will never forget when my husband and I were dating and he came home from work to discover I was making cube steak. His initial response was "Really?" in the comical, annoyed tone that expressed I better not expect him to eat it. While I was growing up, cube steak was common in our home and it was difficult for me to imagine why anyone would be so disgusted by the idea of having cube steak. Fortunately, by this point in our relationship, my husband had discovered it was best to attempt to try a meal I prepared, and if it wasn't something that he enjoyed, to let me know and it would be removed from my recipes.
After he tasted this meal, he immediately feel in love with it. During a visit with his parents, he even told his parents how good the meal with. It was a blessing that I would be able to prepare this meal for his mom. One weekend, my husband (again, we were still dating at the time) promised is mom I would bring lunch for everyone. When we initially told her what we were bringing, she had the same response as my husband, but I guess fear out of hurting my feelings allowed her to try the meal. After that, from 2010 until she passed away in 2012, any time we asked if we could bring something when we came to visit, she would always ask for the cube steak with whatever else I wanted to fix with it.
Not only were my husband and his mom converts to enjoying cube steak, but several others in his family who were never fond of it, but ended up tasting some before they knew what it was also became fans of this meal.
This is an easy, and fresh meal that any one has the ability to make. Not only this, but it is always tender, and ready to fall to pieces once it has been in the slow cooker all day. After much research, I have discovered most people in the area where I live appear to simply bake or fry the mean, and when they do this, it is normally gritty and tough. If I had been introduced to cube steak in that manner, it is likely I myself would never have liked it. However, I have always had tender cube steak (some call it country style steak) and because of this, it is one of my favorite comfort foods!
- 3 lbs. cube steak
- 1/2 c. all-purpose flour, non-bleach, glutton free is the best
- 2 tbsp. vegetable oil
- 1 large white onion, sliced and in rings
- 1 pkg. brown gravy mix
- 1 pkg. mushroom gravy mix
- 1 pkg. onion soup mix
- 1/2 lb. fresh button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tbsp. meat tenderizer
- 3-6 c. water, depending on what it takes to cover the cube steak and also the thickness you desire for the gravy
- In a pan, begin heating the oil.
- In a bowl mix together salt, pepper, flour and meat tenderizer. Then coat the cube steak in the mixture.
- One coated, place the cube steak in oil and cook until slightly browned on both side. (NOTE: Not trying to cook it all the way through, just begin the browning process.)
- Line the slow cooker with a liner, and lightly spray.
- Begin by placing a layer of the onion on the bottom, the place a layer of the cube steak on top, followed by a layer of mushrooms. Continue the layers as such, ending with the onions.
- Pour enough water to cover the onions/cube steak/mushroom, cover and cook 7 1/2 hours.
- After 7 1/2 hours, mix together the packages of onion soup, brown gravy, and onion gravy with 1/2 cup to 1 cup of water and pour over top of the cube steak mixture.
- Cover and allow to simmer 30 minutes - 1 hour, then ready to serve!
One of the greatest tips I can give about serving this meal is to place it on a bed of white rice to serve. As far as sides, some of the favorites include: Mashed potatoes, fried okra, okra/tomato/butter "soup", mac and cheese, coleslaw, sauteed apples, and any other "comfort" foods you may consider.
This dish is one of the comfort foods I love, and my family has begun to love. It is tender and flavorful. Even my step-son, who is a picky eater has discovered if he can add ketchup on top, then he really likes it. Not only this, many people initially ask how I can stand to slave over an oven all day to make such a delicious cube steak, and upon finding out the largest secret is the slow cooker, are amazed at the difference in the preference for this very meal.
I will note, if you are a fan of a thicker gravy, reduce the water when mixing together to soup mixes, and add a touch of corn starch to thicken it up. On the other hand, if you are like most in my family, the gravy, while a little thin for some, is an excellent addition!