- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
Experimental Lentil recipe big hit
I discovered lentils recently. I had heard they were real nutritious (see health information link).The only lentils I had ever eaten was Anne's gourmet Lentil soup. Four bucks a can is too much though. So I just kind of threw stuff in the crock pot and served it at church for our community lunch. I have added some optional ingredients to make it your own. Bon Appétit!
Nutritional Information on Lentils
- Nutritional Information For Lentils | LIVESTRONG.COM
Nutritional Information For Lentils. Lentils are part of the legume family because they grow in pods. They come in three colors: brown, green and red.
- 1 Tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 large onion of choice, chopped
- 3 stalks celery, sliced
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic clove
- 1 - 1lb bag lentils, (your choice on variety)
- 1 box organic vegetable broth
- 1 - 14 1/2 oz can diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, (fresh is best if you have it)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen vegetables, (I used spinach, carrots, and a little broccoli)
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella, (Get creative. You can try cheddar, monterey jack, pepper jack, etc).
- 1 teaspoon cumin, (add more if you need to during the cooking process)
- 1 - 2 teaspoons chilli powder, (add more if you need to during cooking process)
- 1 - 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 cup fresh spinach, (this will not be added until the last 1/2 hour
- any other fresh or frozen vegetables that you think might go well
For spicier or heat: red pepper flakes, any variety of hot chile peppers, diced green chiles, jalepenos, hot sauce.
Seasonings: Italian seasoning, bay leaves, rosemary, italian parsely.
More comfort food recipes by lambservant
- Chicken and Rice Recipe: Good Comfort Food
Another great comfort food recipe. Chicken and rice makes a great family or potluck meal.
- Tuna Italian Casserole
If you love good comfort food, this Italian tuna casserole will fulfill your comfort needs
- Italian Tomato Herbed Chicken: Oh So Yummy
This recipe will melt in your mouth. A simple green salad and warm bread will compliment this delectable dish. Bon Appetit!
- Heat olive oil in skillet over medium heat.
- Saute garlic first, then add chopped onion, celery, and peppers, cooking until crispy/tender.
- Combine this with remaining ingredients (except spinach and cheese) in large crock pot.
- Cook on hihighhours or low 2 hours.
- Throw in spinach in the last 30 minutes.
- Garnish with mozzarella or other cheese of your choice.
- You can serve it as is or pour it over rice or noodles.
© Lori Colb 2013. All rights reserved.