Slow Cooker Recipe for Turkey Wings : How to Make Delicious Turkey Wings in a Slow Cooker
Slow Cooker Recipe For TURKEY WINGS - Slow-cooked turkey wings for Thanksgiving or any time of year
HOW TO MAKE DELICIOUS TURKEY WINGS THAT ARE SLOW-COOKED
Turkey wings are tasty. Slow-cooked turkey wings are decadent. So, how do you cook turkey wings in the slow cooker? With this slow cooker recipe for turkey wings, of course!
This particular slow cooker turkey wings recipe will show you how to make a relatively easy preparation for very delicious slow cooked turkey wings!
- When we have turkey on Thanksgiving Day, my favorite part of the turkey is the wing, for some reason.
- I like how the turkey wing locks in flavor.
- During the rest of the year, I don't have much of an appetite for turkey—unless it's a good turkey wing.
- Turkey wings are huge, and just one turkey wing can easily be shared among a few people.
- To achieve that, however, you have to cut adequate meat off of the turkey wing bone and not allow any of the turkey meat to be wasted.
- Because turkey wings are so big, it can be tricky to cook the turkey wings evenly.
- You might end up with the turkey wing meat becoming tough instead of tender—and if that is the case, indeed some of the turkey wing meat might stay on the bone and be wasted.
- I think that the best way to cook a turkey wing is in the slow cooker.
- If you are someone who eats meat such as turkey, chicken, lamb and beef and likes the meat to be very tender and juicy, falling off the bone, then a slow cooker is a good investment.
- This particular slow cooker recipe for turkey wings should suit you well.
I hope that you enjoy this slow-cooked turkey wing recipe as much as I do!
Turkey wings that are slow cooked will be tender and juicy with the meat falling off of the bone! This recipe hub will discuss how to make delicious slow cooked turkey wings.
Slowcooked turkey wings
1. Ingredients for slow cooker recipe for turkey wings
- 2 fresh or thawed turkey wings
- Seasonings (see below)
- Chicken or turkey stock (optional)
2. Directions for how to make turkey wings in the slow cooker
- Take the turkey wings, rinse them well with water, and pat dry.
- Season the turkey wings very generously with a variety of seasonings. I never use just salt and pepper for these slow cooked turkey wings but rather a multitude of seasonings in order to get very flavorful tasting turkey wing meat. (Hey, if Kentucky Fried Chicken, aka KFC, can use 13 special herbs and spices, why not me?)
- If you have time, let the turkey wings sit and absorb the spices. Place the turkey wings in a bowl covered with plastic wrap and keep the bowl of turkey wings on the bottom shelf of the refrigerator a couple of hours before cooking.This can aid with attaining the most flavorful results for the slowcooked turkey wings.
- After the turkey wings have been washed, seasoned, and possibly marinated, place the turkey wings side by side into the slow cooker.
- Add a cup of water or canned soup for reduction. Note that in a slow cooker, you will need less liquid than you will for the stove top. In the slow cooker, the water does not evaporate as readily.
- Cover the slow cooker, plug it in, and set it on high for 2 to 3 hours. Reduce it to low for an additional 5 to 6 hours.
- When the time is up, take the turkey wings out and enjoy!
Yes, the total cooking time for these slow cooked turkey wings is seven to nine hours. Slow cookers allow for easy cleanup and minimal supervision, so you can leave your slow cooked turkey wings meal cooking and go about doing other things.
There is no need to be on constant watch for burning or scorching of the slow cooked turkey wings or to be stirring them frequently.
- The turkey wing meat comes out extremely succulent and tender and just a few meals that good are worth the $20 paid for the slow cooker.
- I give this kitchen appliance, a slow cooker, two thumbs up!
Two thumbs up for slow cookers!
Preparing the raw turkey wings
- Please see below.
How to season the slow cooked turkey wings
Seasoning to prepare slow cooked turkey wings
I suggest using a combination of at least six of the following seasonings to prepare these slow cooked turkey wings.:
- Black pepper
- Red pepper
On the slow cooked turkey wings, I use all of these seasonings with black pepper, garlic, and parsley in the greatest abundance.
I've also enjoyed working with fresh seasonings and suggest you add some fresh chopped raw onion and fresh minced raw garlic cloves three quarters of the way through the cooking process of the slow cooked turkey wings. You will yield even better results for the slow cooked turkey wings.
- Additionally, when all is complete, the fully cooked turkey wings will taste great with a topping such as a gravy or pesto—yes, pesto.
- I typically prepare turkey gravy only around Thanksgiving Day or New Year's Day, and I do so using the turkey giblets from a whole raw turkey that I am preparing.
- At other times during the year, however (when I am preparing turkey wings only and not a whole turkey), I might just use pesto for a delicious, quick and easy topping for the slowcooked turkey wings.
- Pesto is so delicious, and the Classico brand makes a great store-bought option when you don't have time to make your own.
- Made with basil, olive oil, Parmesan cheese and yeast among other ingredients, pesto is often a suggested topping for chicken.
- I love to eat chicken with pesto and it tastes great with other meats too, including these slow cooked turkey wings.
Cook Time for the Slow Cooked Turkey Wings
As an alternative to turkey gravy, I love to eat slow cooked turkey wings with pesto sometimes. It's so delicious!
What do think you would prefer?
What would you prefer?
Slow cooked turkey wings
Cooking With Slow Cookers
Nutritional information for one turkey wing (Source: fatsecret.com)
|Serving size: 1 turkey wing|
|Calories from Fat||261|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 29 g||45%|
|Protein 63 g||126%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
You can purchase a slowcooker for just around $20
We are behind the times, I know, but I was delighted when my husband randomly brought home a slow cooker the other day. Not so random, I guess. We had been talking about purchasing one for a while now.
The thing with these type of appliances, is that if you wait a while, when they are no longer new on the market (when they are new is the time when everyone wants to grab one up), then the price goes way down later. Our slow cooker was purchased for just $20.
This turkey meal is the first I prepared with it, the first of many meals to come.
If you too are using a slow cooker for the first time, it is important to read your instruction manual carefully.
Here are some tips:
- Keep the slow cooker on a heat resistant surface when in use and far away from the stove, gas oven or other heated kitchen appliances that might be in use.
- Remove the ceramic container inside, rinse thoroughly with soapy water, dry well and place back into the unit before you begin.
- Do not put any frozen or very cold food into the slow cooker, and when the meal is complete, do not store leftovers in the refrigerator in the slow cooker itself.
- After you remove all food, wash and dry the inner ceramic container and store the leftover food in a plastic container or tupperware.
What Did You Think?
Is there a part of a whole turkey that is your favorite to eat or do you just like it all?
What is your favorite part of a whole turkey to eat?
Do you currently own a slow cooker or crock pot?
Do you have a working slow cooker or crock pot of your own for use?
1. Mississippi Crock Pot Turkey Wings/How To
2. Turkey Wings in the Crock Pot inspired by Auntie Fee
3. Slow Cooker Smothered Turkey Wings - I Heart Recipes
© 2009 Nyesha Pagnou MPH