- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Slow Cooker Vegetarian French Onion Soup
A vegetarian twist on a meat-eaters favorite classic soup. Of course, where I call for vegetable broth, feel free to swap out for beef broth instead if you need your fix.
- 4 Sweet Onion, Peeled, sliced
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 Tablespoon Worcestershire Sauce, I have left this is out in the past and still enjoyed the soup.
- 1 Tablespoon Balsamic Vinegar
- 3 Cloves Garlic, Minced
- 1/2 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1/2 Teaspoon Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Flour
- 64 oz Vegetable Broth, (Swap for beef broth if you prefer meat)
- 2 Tablespoons Thyme
- 4 Slices French Bread, 1 slice per serving
- 4 Slices Swiss, Gouda, Provolone, or Mozzarella, 1 slice per serving, pick cheese based on preference. In this one, I am using Provolone
- Set crock pot to high and add all the onions (sliced), butter, Worcestershire sauce, Balsamic Vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper.
- Cook this for 60 minutes, stirring from time to time.
- Add all the flour, and stir in. Let sit, cooking on high, for another 5 minutes.
- Add all vegetable broth and thyme. Change setting to low and cook for another 6-8 hours. ***If you are too short on time, do steps 1 and 2, then add everything (onions mix and broth) to a large enough saucepan. Cook for another hour on low-medium heat.
- Ladle soup serving into an oven safe bowl. Add slice of bread on top and one slice of cheese over that.
- Broil for 3 minutes and serve!
Based on soup only. Add calories for cheese and bread based on your personal selections.
|Serving size: 1 Cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|