Southern Slow Cooker: Chicken and Dumplings Crock Pot Recipe
When I was a kid I loved chicken and dumplings. As an adult I still love chicken and dumplings. I love them so much that the very first thing I made when I got my hands on a Hamilton Beach Slow Cooker for Christmas one year ago was, you guessed it, chicken and dumplings!
Since then I have made it my mission to perfect the recipe to what fits my family, and I think I have a variation that suits us just fine.
Pair a bowl of dumplings with fresh corn on the cob and you'll have yourself a filling meal that can take you back to childhood, or warm you on a cold winters day.
Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cans condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 can condensed cream of mushroom soup
- 2 (10 ounce) pack refrigerated biscuit dough, torn into pieces (I use country biscuit style)
- 1 onion, diced (small or half large - white or sweet
- 1 box chicken broth
- To taste (I use 1 tablespoon roughly) Pepper
- To taste Lawry's Seasoning Salt
- To taste garlic powder
- Prepare your chicken by seasoning them on a cutting board. Give a healthy coating of garlic powder on both sides, with a lighter 'to taste' coat of seasoning salt and pepper as you add more later.
- Dice the onion and cover the entire bottom of your slow cooker with it.
- Lay the seasoned chicken evenly across the top of your onion layer.
- Pour both cans of the cream of chicken soup, and the cream of mushroom soup over the chicken. Add butter.
- Pour broth until soups and chicken is covered (roughly 1/2-3/4 box).
- Add seasoning (this is where I add the heavier pepper and seasoning salt).
- Set slow cooker on high for 6 hours.
- 1 1/2 hours prior to serving tear up the biscuits into quarter size pieces and stir them in.
- Open and stir 1 hour prior to serving because the biscuits with bulk up and stick together and cook on the sides if you don't. Pour in 1-2 cups of water if liquid levels have dropped and if desired, season a little more with the Lawry's Seasoning Salt.
|Serving size: 1/8th recipe|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
My Other Recipes
- Creative Chocolate Chip Cookie Ideas - Chocolate Chip Cookie Bar Recipe
Take the chocolate chip cookie to a whole new level with a chocolate chip cookie bar recipe. This super rich dessert is filled with chocolate morsels that melt in the mouth.
- Colorful Rainbow Tie Dye Cupcakes made from Food Coloring: Weddings, Parties, Holidays and more!
One bite and your kids (or wedding guests!) will be surprised at the beautiful colors found inside! So pre-heat that oven and get started. Don't forget the tall glass of milk!
- Southern Slow Cooker: Pasta Bowls - Beef Stroganoff
When you are in the mood for a hearty meal, but are pressed for time, just try slow cooker beef stroganoff! This recipe has taken the details out of the "from scratch" recipes from the south, but left in decent nutritional values. Set it and forget..
- Southern Baked Macaroni and Cheese Pie
Southern ladies refer to this style of macaroni and cheese as a pie, but you could call it a casserole and it will still taste the same... but it's not real Southern macaroni and cheese until you can cut it out of a dish like a piece of cake or...
- Delicious Chocolate Shakeology Recipes - Choco Banana Vanilla Pudding Surprise Recipe and more!
In addition to Beachbody home fitness programs there are nutritional supplements such as Shakeology to help your brand new, healthy lifestyle. Here are my top 5 favorite Chocolate Shakeology recipes!