Smoky Southwest Black Bean Wrap Recipe
This is one of my favorite quick and easy lunchtime recipes. It is a vegan recipe, but can be enjoyed by anyone who loves southwest style or mexican food. Simple to prepare, this amazing wrap can be made in less than 10 minutes and requires no cooking. It is a great alternative to a traditional sandwich or even to the sub sandwich you might ordinarily buy on your lunch break. Get ready for some serious flavor!
This tasty wrap is full of great nutrition! The whole wheat tortilla contains 5g of protein and 4 g of fiber. The black beans add another 3 g of protein and another 4 g of fiber. Add to that the vitamins and minerals from the veggies, and you have an amazing, delicious and nutritious meal!
- 1 Whole Wheat Tortilla, Warmed in microwave for 15 seconds
- 1/2 - 1 cup Shredded lettuce or leaf lettuce
- 1/4 cup Fresh Tomato, chopped
- 1 Tbsp Onion, chopped
- 1-2 Tbsp Fresh Cilantro, chopped
- 1/4 cup Black Beans, canned
- 2 Tbsp Vegan Mayonnaise
- 1 tsp Liquid Smoke
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Ground Chipotle Seasoning
- Prepare Chipotle Sauce by blending together vegan mayonnaise, liquid smoke and chipotle powder in a small bowl.
- Chop lettuce, tomato, onion, and cilantro.
- Microwave whole wheat tortilla for 15 seconds.
- Place whole wheat tortilla on serving plate.
- Spread Chipotle Sauce on 2/3 of tortilla from top to bottom.
- Place toppings on the center 1/3 of the tortilla covering the sauce. Add lettuce first, then tomato, onions, and cilantro.
- Measure 1/4 cup of black beans. Add to your wrap.
- Fold the bottom of the tortilla all the way across to make an "end" to your wrap.
- Fold in the side of the tortilla that is covered with sauce first.
- Fold over the outer side of the tortilla while pressing gently on the filling. Be sure that the inner fold of the tortilla covers the filling.
- Seal your wrap with a toothpick.
Best Ever Chipotle Seasoning!
What is Chipotle Pepper?
Chipotle peppers are jalapenos that have been allowed to ripen to a bright red color on the bush. Once they have ripened to this red color, the pepper then begins to dehydrate and lose its moisture. Once dried on the bush, these red peppers are ready for picking.
Chipotle peppers are then smoked for several days and fully dried in the process. Chipotle peppers add both a smoky flavor and spicy heat to many dishes. My favorite chipotle seasoning is made by Spice Islands. It is a mix of chipotle peppers as well as other spices and herbs. If you have been looking for a smoky southwest flavor, give it a try!
Really Tasty Vegan Mayo!
What is Vegan Mayonnaise?
Vegan mayonnaise is heart healthy and made from various oils. It is just as delicious as non-vegan mayo and is richer in monounsaturated fats - the "good fats." Some vegan mayonnaise contains soy products. Those with allergy to soy should be careful to read labels to ensure food safety.
When I first tried vegan mayo, I was skeptical. As a former meat eater - and sandwich lover! - I have always enjoyed mayo on sandwiches. I have found vegan mayonnaise to be equally flavorful and with a lighter texture than its non-vegan counterpart. It has been a pleasant surprise, and I would recommend it to anyone! My favorite brand is Vegenaise in the original flavor. Give it a try!