Bad and Good Snack Food for Gamers
No really, Red Bull is not dinner.
Whatever your game of choice is, be it a console game or a computer game, chances are you're eating food which is very unhealthy. For the hardcore gamer, a trip to the kitchen could mean a loss of hours worth of progress or work, a dead character when you get back, or the possibility that your raid group or party ditches you for making them wait.
So what is the solution for this? Aside from installing a minifridge next to your computer desk, there are a plethora of really great snacks, some healthy, some not so much, but all of them tasty and easy to eat while gaming.
Must-Have Computer Food
There are several properties to the ideal gamer snack foods:
- Item size. - If the snack you have chosen requires two hands to eat, you may as well turn off your game. The ideal size for a snack is one that fits easily in one hand.
- Goo factor. - If it oozes jelly, honey, or any other kind of sugary sweet yummy goo, it's a no-go. Save these for mealtimes away from the computer. You don't want these sticky things coating your fingers and then gunking up your keyboard.
- Satiatiablity. - The snacks you choose should fill you up quickly, or take the edge off your hunger long enough to last you until you've got the chance to log out and eat a real meal.
Good and Bad Snack Foods
So how do you, the discerning gamer geek, figure out just what snacks to eat that won't make your midsection swell like the rising National Debt? Have no fear! I've already figured this out for you. In order of suitable snackitude, here they are:
- Pretzels - Not only a nice salty, filling snack, they come in flavored varieties so that you don't get bored with the same old yeasty crunch. That's not all, pretzels are low calorie, low fat and are easily held in one hand while gaming. Perfect!
- Popcorn - Another snack with a wide variety of flavor choices, these may not be a low-calorie food, but they're far better for you than, say, cheese doodles. If you know you're going to be gaming for a bit, cook up a couple of bags ahead of time and dump them all into a big bowl.
- Fruit and vegetables. - Oh, hush. I know, yuck, who wants to eat fruit while sitting on their butt pwning n00bz? You! Fruits and vegetables are clean, cheap, sliceable, and will give you the energy you need to make it through a long Karazhan raid or PVP battle.
Bad snacks - Stay away from anything greasy, crumby or glazed. This means donuts, fries, most chips, anything off the chip isle at your local Walmart is probably a bad idea. These foods are highly processed, seriously fatty, and others will leave a residue on your fingers which, as I said above, is bad bad no-no.