- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Tomato and Sweet Pepper Sofrito and Citrus Marinade for Chicken or Pork
The refreshing citrus and fresh garden flavors of this marinade and sauce add a twist to mundane grilled chicken. This is a recipe that you have to try! I made it from ingredients I already had on hand--although admittedly, I keep wide variety of ingredients in my well-stocked pantry. I promise this recipe is incredibly easy and so delicious!
- 4 thick pork chops or 4 Chicken Breasts or 6-8 Chicken thighs
- 2 oz +2TBS white cooking wine (you can use regular white wine)
- 2 Garlic Clove, Pressed
- 1/4 tsp grated citrus peel (I keep grated lemon, orange, and grapefruit peel in a 2 oz jar in my freezer so i always have some on hand)
- 3 TBS Worcestershire Sauces
- 1 TBSP Sugar
- 6 TBSP Sofrito (or puree 1 sweet or bell pepper and 1 tomato)
- 1/2 tsp each: dried cumin, ginger, and basil
- Dash of Salt and pepper
- 1 TBSP each fresh basil and parsley (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 1 TBSP Olive Oil
Wisk together 2 oz white wine, 1 pressed garlic clove, citrus peel, 1 TBSP worchestersire sauce, sugar, 2 TBSP sofrito, dried herbs and salt and pepper together until well-incorporated. Pour over chicken or pork and marinate at least 30 minutes (longer is better!) Cook meat over low heat until thouroughly cooked.
Meanwhile, sauté 4 TBSP Sofrito, pressed garlic clove in olive oil over med heat. Add 2 oz white wine and bring to a boil. Add leftover marinade, 1 TBSP Worcestershire Sauce, fresh herbs (or substitute dried) and a dash of salt and pepper. Bring back to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and let cook10 minutes, or until mixture thickens, stirring frequently.
Plate Meat and spoon Sauce over each piece. You can double the sauce recipe if you want extra sauce.
Never heard of Sofrito? You can still make this recipe. Sofrito is a Spanish term for peppers, tomatoes, and garlic and onion that has been finely diced, or pureed and sauteed in olive oil at least 30 minutes. Make up a batch and freeze in ice cube trays for use to flavor anything from marinades to rice to pasta sauces.
What You Need:
- 5 peppers--any combination of sweet and bell peppers
- 2-3 Tomatoes--plum or vine ripe
- 1 med onion--I use white because it is the most versatile.
- 2-4 Garlic Cloves--depending on how much you like garlic
- You can add herbs such as Cilantro or Parsley and Basil, however I think this makes the Sofrito less versatile. I think it is better to add the herbs to your dish separately so that you can use the sofrito for different types of cuisines.
Finely dice all indredients or puree in a blender. You can sauté the sofrito for 30 minutes in 1/4 cup olive oil and then freeze in ice cube trays, but I prefer to simple freeze the sofrito without sauteing.
More Great Recipes from Modern Housewife
- How to Make Soup Stock
Learn to make chicken stock, beef or pork bone broth and vegetable broth, just like Mom (or Grandma) use to make.
- Slow cooker Meat Recipes
Looking for an easy way to make pulled pork? Throw it in the crock pot and cook on high heat 6 hours. Take the pork out and shred it on a plate using a fork. Back in the crock it goes and smother it with your favorite BBQ sauce. Cook another 2...
- Easy Pulled Pork with Homemade BBQ Sauce
Delicious, easy Homemade BBQ Pulled Pork recipe with Homemade BBQ sauce.