Some Good Uses For Jam (Besides Spreading It On Bread)
Jam is traditionally known for being delicious served on bread or scones. Jams come in many different shapes and forms such as jellies, marmalades, chutneys, fruit butter, fruit spread, fruit curd and confit.
Despite all the different variations of jam, it is essentially always a type of fruit preserve that contains fruit, vegetables and sugar. Combined with a gelling agent such as honey or pectin, a jam will last for a long time and can be enjoyed in many more creative ways than simply spreading on bread.
Of course, jam is considered a perfect accompaniment to peanut butter, as many kids and adults alike will gladly testify to. But I suppose that we can only eat so many peanut butter and jam sandwiches before craving something a little different, and so here are a few other good uses for jam, and ways to make jam more interesting when combined with some of your other favorite foods.
Recipes with Jam
- Easy Jam Tart Recipe for Traditional Jam Tarts
Jam tarts are one of the first things my mum ever taught me to bake probably because a jam tart recipe is just so easy
- Jam Filled Butter Cookies Recipe - Allrecipes.com
This cookie recipe has been in my mother's family for more years than I've been alive. It's my favorite cookie; my comfort food!
- Victoria Sponge Cake: A classic English or British cake
You may find that, what we English call Victoria sponge cake, is similar to some cake recipes in your country. These days these sponge cakes are often made in small individual bun cases, with fresh fruit added, whipped cream or even chocolate varieti
- Queen of Puddings Recipe
Queen of Puddings is one of our Great British pudings, economical, thrifty but delicious. We make it as a family pudding even though we serve French food for guests at our Bed and Breakfast in Limousin, France? You won't believe how wonderful, cheap
Some Good Uses for Jam
- Make a jam smoothie: blend your favorite jam with milk, fresh fruit and yoghurt
- Serve marmalade & cream cheese on crackers
- Use the jam as a glaze for pork or chicken; it can easily be added to BBQ sauce
- Liven up any boring original cheesecake with a dollop of jam on top of the cheesecake
- Spread jam between cake layers, for example a victoria sponge cake (see recipe opposite)
- Gently warm up and thin an apple or peach jam and pour over ice cream for an extra treat
- A simple pancake or waffle topping
- Jam makes great gifts - especially homemade!
- Stir into cottage cheese
- Served up some jam with some sliced-up local fruit; simple but delicious
- Serve a blob of jam in a bowl of oatmeal for a comforting snack; a great food to eat before bed
- Swirl in some strawberry jam to rice pudding
- Buy plain yogurt and add jam for flavoring according to your taste
- Cover a wheel of brie cheese with jam, wrap in puff pastry and bake
- Stir jam into icing for a different and yummy cake topping
- Fill doughnuts!
- Make jam-filled butter cookies (see recipe opposite)
- Get the kids to help in the kitchen - mix jam into the pancake batter, you can't go wrong!
- Make a simple Jam Tart! All you have to do is fill individual pastry tartlet cases with jam (see recipe opposite). Nice served warm with a dollop of ice cream on the side!
- Make a batch of surprise muffins - half-fill the muffin cups, put in a dob of jam, and then cover the jam with more muffin mix
- Jam makes an easy crepe filling! Top with a spoonful of cream fraiche or whipping cream
- For a flavourful protein shake, blend jam, milk and protein powder
- Use jelly-type jam to sweeten tea instead of sugar or honey
- Mix with oil, vinegar and spices for a sweet salad dressing
- Use jam instead of sugar for making chewy and fruity cookies
- Drizzle warmed-up jam over really hot and spicy chicken wings
- Spoon marmalade over chicken breasts before baking: a really simple glaze
- Make Queen of Puddings which uses up leftover bread, with jam and eggs (see recipe opposite)
Jam and Lemon Tarts Recipe
Try Making Your Own Jam
- How to Make and Can Homemade Berry Jam: Recipes, Pi...
A guide to making your own homemade jam with step by step instructions, photos and video.
- Strange Jelly and Jam Recipes to Try
Homemade jams and jellies make wonderful gifts and a special treat for family and friends. We've got some strange jelly and jam recipes here to try, Mandarin Orange Wine Jelly, Rose Hip Jam, and Red Bell Pepper Jam.
- Easy Strawberry Jam: Recipe with Step-by-Step Photos
An easy recipe for making delicious strawberry jam. Step-by-step directions with pictures showing each step of the jam-making process. No canning needed!