- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Tips for Great Snacks!
- The most delicious snacks in the world can fail to tempt if it is presented in an unbecming manner! A greasy or too oily snack is no more appetizing, so make it a habit to remove the fried snacks from oil on a tissue or paper napkin to absorb the excess oil.
- A few crisp leaves of lettuce or a sprig of mint or coriander placed at the edge of the serving platter makes the snack irresistible!
- Make the gree leaves crispy by putting them in a bowl of cold water and keeping them in the fridge for 3-4 hours or even overnight. Some cucumber slices or tomato wedges placed along with the greens, beautify it further.
- For getting a crisp coating on cutlets or rolls, dip prepared snacks in a thin batter of maida ( All purpose flour) and water and then roll in bread crumbs. Fry till well browned.
- A teaspoon of til (sesame seeds) or khus-khus (poppy seeds) or ajwain (carom seeds), added to coating mixture or bread crumbs makes the snacks interesting.
- In the absence of bread crumbs, a mixture of 1/4 cup of all purpose flour (maida) and 1/2 cup of semolina (suji) may be used to get a crisp coating.
- If your cutlet falls apart , quickly tear 1-2 slices of bread and grind in a mixer to get fresh bread crumbs. Ad it to the cutlet mixture for binding.
- To make crisp potato chips, soak them in cold water for 1 hour. After an hour drain the water and wipe dry the potato chips. Then sprinkle some all purpose floue (maida) on the potato chips before frying.
- Never start frying in smoking hot oil as it will turn the snack black and sometime snack may burn also. Never fry in cold oil also the snack may fall apart or it may soak a lot of oil.
- For deep frying any snack, add small quantities to the oil at one time. This maintains the oil temperature. If too many pieces are added together, the oil turns cold and a lot of oil is then absorbed by the snack.
- After deep frying , let the oil cool down. Add a little quantity of fresh oil to the used oil before reusing. This prevents the oil from discolouring snacks.
Recommended Oil - Olive Oil
- Olive Oil is the only oil which is extracted from a fresh fruit, without the use of solvent. It is therefore a completely natural product with an exceptional aroma and flavour.
- There are 3 basic types of Oilve Oil: Extra Virgin Oilve Oil, Virgin Olive Oil and Pure Olive Oil
- Olive oil is prefect for all sorts of culinary purposes as it brings out the flavour of food. Olive oil can be used in its raw form, such as dressing for salads, sauces, soups, steamed or grilled vegetables, meat or fish and also when it is heated for toasting, stewing and frying.
- Olive oil expands on heating therefore less amount of olive oil is required while cooking. Unlike other oils, olive oil may be used 3-4 times, provided it is filtered carefully after each use through gauze, muslin cloth or a suitable paper filter.
- When used at high tempratures, olive oil froms a crisp, golden crust making the fried food appetizing and without affecting its nutritional value. During the process oil hardly penetratess the food, leaving it light and digestible.
- Olive oil is the most stable of all oils, because of their extremely high oleic acid content (with average value between 75-80% and high polyphenol concentration, with alpha-tocopherol) which gives high natural prtection against rancidity, guaaranteeing stability under changing thermal conditions and prevent oxidation.
- Olive oil should be kept in closed container, at room temperature & out of direct sunlight.
Health Benefits of Olive Oil
- Olive oil is highly recommended for its natural health benefits. The balanced fatty acid content helps you to maintain weight and is a recommended oil duirng diets.
- Other components such as a natural antioxidants and vitamin A, D, K and especially E are also beneficial. As - They improve the appearance and smoothness of the skin and hair. It lessens the severity of asthma and arthritis. It also has anti- inflammatory properties.
- One os the main benefits attributed to Olive Oil is that it reduces "bad" cholesterol (LDL) and retain "good" cholesterol (HDL). This helps prevent atherosclerosis and certain types of cancer.
- Because of its high oleic acid content, olive oil is well tolerated by the stomach and facilitates digestion.
- Olive oil is highly recommended for both the elderly and chlidren. Becasue - firstly, Its essential fatty acid content is similar to that of mother's milk and assists in bone mineralization, development and calcification. Secondly, Its high content of natural anti-oxidants creates a defence mechanism against oxidation process and improves cardiovascular circulation and slows down the ageing of cells.