What Is Semolina or Sooji? Semolina, a Perfect Dessert - Sooji Ka Halwa and More
What is Semolina?
Semolina is a coarse flour and usually made from Durum wheat. It contains the nutritious portion of the grain, which is left behind during the process of milling and sifting the flour. Semolina is commonly used in the manufacturing of pasta because of its high gluten content. It is also known as sooji or wheat of cream.
Calories per Ingredient
Here are the foods from sparkpeople.com database that were used for the nutrition calculations of this recipe.
Calories per serving of Suji Halwa
66 calories of Semolina, enriched, (0.11 cup)
62 calories of Granulated Sugar, (0.08 cup)
37 calories of Ghee, (0.33 tbsp)
13 calories of Almonds, (0.08 oz (24 whole kernels))
9 calories of Raisins, golden seedless, (0.02 cup (not packed))
0 calories of Water, tap, (0.42 cup (8 fl oz))
How to Buy Semolina?
There are 3 kinds of Semolina found in the market.
- Finely grained semolina
- Medium grained semolina
- Big grained semolina.
You need to see that the semolina you are going to buy is made from soft wheat or hard/ durum wheat. If you are going to make gnocchi, pasta and home-made couscous.then you may want to buy durum wheat semolina.
How to Store Semolina?
Always store in a cool and dry places, if possible in an airtight container.
You can store in an air tight container for 2-3 months.
After this period you need to store in refrigerator.
Make sure that bags and containers are not ope, to avoid any infestation by the moth or beetle.
Sooji Ka Halwa
- 1 cup sooji or cream of wheat or semolina flour
- 1/4 cup ghee or clear butter, or sweet butter
- 1/2 cup sugar or as per your taste
- 1 cup of milk
- Pinch crushed cardamoms seeds
- 1 tablespoon sliced almonds for garnish
- 10 Strings of saffron – crushed (optional)
- 2 Tablespoons of thin sliced almonds
- 2 Tablespoons of thin sliced cashew nuts
- 1 Cup of water
- Pistachio to garnish ( Optional)
How to Make Sooji Ka Halwa
- In a medium saucepan boil the milk,water, add sugar, saffron and cardamom powder on low medium heat. Bring to boil and keep it separate.
- Add butter in a large frying pan and turn on medium heat
- When butter started melting, add sooji or semolina and continue to roast on medium heat, stirring constantly this will take about 15 to 20 minutes. Sooji will be golden brown in color and will have a light sweet aroma. Now roasting the semolina is completed.
- Turn the heat on low and wait for 2 minutes.
- Add the syrup slowly, as you add the syrup to sooji, water may splatter little bit. Just be careful at this stage.
- Add raisins and almonds into the mixture.
- Turn down the heat to medium low and let it cook for about 3-4 minutes.
- Continue stirring until mixture has thickened to a consistency of pudding.
- Semolina will absorb the water, as the pudding or halwa cools so keep halva a little more softer then you want.
- Serve hot for best taste. If you like, garnish with shaved pistachio, almonds or shredded coconut.
Sooji Ka Halwa
Other Use of Semolina or Sooji
- Use sooji instead of corn meal to the bottom of fresh pizza dough to avoid any sticking
- Use 2-3 spoon of semolina in to a bread mixture to make crust tasty.
- You can boil with milk, and add some sugar or flavor it with vanilla to make a pudding and serve with jam.
- This can be substituted for some of the regular flour in cakes and biscuits to give a crispness.
- This is commonly used in the manufacturing of pasta and gives the pasta its pleasant taste and texture, but can also be used quite effectively to thicken stews, as a base for souffle as a hot cereal or as a cooked meal on its own.
- Used to make couscous, which is cooked like rice.
- The other recipes you can make with semolina are savory foods like rava dosa, rava idli and upma
Health Benefits of Semolina or Sooji
- Low-fat, high carbohydrate food, provides a lot of energy, an ideal food for active, energetic people.
- Low in cholesterol and sodium and high in fiber which can be a well-balanced diet.
- Very low in saturated fat, cholesterol and contains zero trans fatty acids.
- High in vitamin E and also contains B complex.
- Because semolina is made from durum wheat and not the softer wheat that goes into bread, it is digested more slowly and has a low glycemic index which is good for people who wants to lose weight and blood sugar, especially for diabetics.
- Potassium in semolina supports good kidney and heart function and the smooth function of other muscles, phosphorus, required by the body to metabolize energy, magnesium for healthy muscles, bones and nerves, calcium for strong bones and zinc to boost the immune system.