- Food and Cooking»
- Main Dish & Side Dish Recipes
Mushroom Soup with Ox Tail
Mushrooms, whether wild or cultivated, are delicious no matter how they are prepared. They are used in many stir fry dishes, in sandwiches, in salads, in potato, rice and pasta dishes, in soups, and in other dishes. If you are looking for some new soup recipes you will love my mushroom soup recipe with ox tail. A large bowl of mushroom soup with ox tail makes for a great lunch or dinner. You don't even need to cook anything else as this tasty mushroom soup will fill you up, especially if you have some freshly baked bread on the side.
When I made this mushroom soup I chose to use mushrooms that I had picked in the forest/woods such as mushrooms from the boletus family along with some mushrooms I bought at the store. You can use whatever mushrooms you want for this recipe but try to use a few different varieties as this will make your soup more flavorful. Also, if you like you can use veal tail instead of ox tail or even combine the two.
- 1 pound ox tail (or veal tail)
- 2 medium carrots
- 2 stalks celery
- large bowl fresh mixed mushrooms (shiitake, crimini, etc.)
- 2 medium onions
- 1 cup milk
- 3.5 cups stock from ox tail (or veal tail)
- small piece butter
- 1-2 bay leaves
- 5 black peppercorns (whole)
- sea salt
- handful shredded cheese
- Wash the ox tail (or veal tail) and place in a large pot over medium high heat. Fill to the top with water. Add sea salt, a handful of whole black peppercorns, two bay leaves, one medium carrot (peeled and cut into big pieces), and two celery stalks (washed and cut into big pieces). Let the water come to a boil and then cover with a lid and cook on low heat for about 1.5 hours.
- Once the ox tail (or veal tail) is almost done cooking you can start to cook the mushrooms. Peel a medium onion, cut into cubes, and fry in a skillet until golden brown and remove onto a plate. Then wash and peel a medium carrot, dice into small pieces and cook until tender and remove onto a plate.
- Thoroughly wash the mushrooms under running water and slice in medium pieces. Place into a deep pan and fry them for about 15 minutes. Towards the end add the fried onion and carrot, mix and let cook for a few minutes. If you are using forest mushrooms first boil the mushrooms with a large onion and whole black peppercorns for about 40 minutes before frying them in a pan. If you are using dried mushrooms you have to soak them in water first until they become softer and bigger.
- Add a cup of milk to the pan and when it comes to a boil add the stock from the ox tail (or veal tail).
- Shred some cheese and add to the pan with the mushrooms along with a small piece of butter. Stir and cook until the cheese melts. Then add the ox tail (or veal tail) to the soup and cook for a few minutes. Cover the pan and let sit.
- Slice some freshly baked bread (or toast it if you prefer), spread on some butter and enjoy. The soup is a hearty one and will fill you up, especially if you give yourself a large bowl.