- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Pies & Tarts
Sour Cream Pumpkin Pie with Graham Cracker Crust
This pumpkin pie is made with sour cream which gives it a light, fluffy texture and a creamier taste than just a plain pumpkin pie. It’s not as heavy as a cream cheese or apple butter pumpkin pie; which is nice if you like to indulge in pies. This works with a homemade pie crust, store bought ones, or even a graham cracker crust (a personal favorite of mine).
1 cup (8 oz.)Canned pumpkin mash (or fresh sugar pumpkin mash: directions to follow*)
1 cup (8oz.) Sour Cream
½ cup evaporated milk
½ cup white Sugar
¼ cup brown sugar
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon Cinnamon
½ teaspoon Nutmeg
1/8 teaspoon Clove
½ teaspoon Allspice
½ teaspoon ground ginger
9 inch pie dough shell
1. Mix all ingredients win a mixing bowl using a whisk or a standing mixture.
2. Pour batter into a 9 inch pie pan (graham cracker is good)
3. Bake in a 425 degree f oven for 15 minutes
4. Reduce heat to 350 degree f and bake for an additional 45 minutes.
5. Check with a knife straight in the center to come out clean.
6. Cool completely before serving with whipped cream.
*NOTE: To make pumpkin mash from a sugar pumpkin or baking pumpkin (NOT the kind you get at the pumpkin patch at Halloween time):
1. Wash it completely.
2. Cut out the stem.
3. Scoop out ALL of the seeds and stringy membranes (this is very important).
4. Cut the pumpkin vertically into two equal halves.
5. On a lined baking sheet, lay the two halves skin side up.
6. Rub the skin with vegetable oil (this will keep it from burning)
7. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees f
8. Bake pumpkin for 1 hour.
9. Check pumpkin to see if it is fork tender (if not keep baking, checking every 15 minutes until it is soft).
10. When done, scoop flesh out of skins and place in a food processor.
11. Puree pumpkin on high.