- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Sourdough Pecan Banana Bread
Preparing Your Sourdough
If you have a sourdough starter already, the night before you plan to bake, feed your starter 1/2 cup water and 1/2 cup flour to increase your sourdough. This will produce an extra 1 cup of sourdough needed for this recipe.
If you do not have a sourdough starter, simply start a new batch of sourdough 2-3 days before you plan to bake. Click here for more information on sourdough: 4 Great Reasons To Bake With Sourdough & Easy Instructions To Get You Started
Glass Mixing Bowl
Glass Storage Jar
To Create A New Sourdough Starter
To create a new sourdough starter, you will need the following:
- A glass mixing bowl (Do Not use a metal bowl due to chemical reaction of the sourdough)
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 tablespoons sugar
Mix all the ingredients together in the mixing bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap. Do not seal the edges around the bowl, the dough needs to breath. Place the bowl in a warm place where it will not be disturbed, and allow the dough to ferment for 2-3 days. The longer it sits, the tangier the taste.
When preparing to bake, remove 1 cup of sourdough for this recipe, place the remaining sourdough in a clean mason jar or small bowl. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and store in the refrigerator for future use.
Always remember to add enough equal parts water and flour to equal the amount needed for your recipe the night before you bake. In the morning, remove the amount needed, and return the starter to the refrigerator.
If you do not use your sourdough often, feed the starter a minimum of every 3-4 weeks by adding equal parts water and flour to keep the fermenting microbial colony alive.
- 1 cup sourdough
- 1/3 cup oil, olive oil, grape seed oil, or coconut oil
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mashed ripe banana
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- In a medium bowl, mix together the flour, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl, mix together the sourdough, oil, and sugar.
- Add the egg to the wet ingredients in the large bowl and mix well.
- Stir the mashed banana into the wet ingredients.
- Add the flour mixture to the batter in the large bowl and stir just until the dry ingredients are incorporated.
- Stir in the chopped pecans.
- Pour batter into a greased loaf pan.
- Bake for one hour, or until an inserted toothpick comes out clean.