South of the Border Chicken Soup
A Delicious Soup
Have You Ever Had It?
Have you ever had South of the Border Chicken Soup
Delicious Southwestern Meal
If you are a fan of Mexican food, like I am, then this is the recipe for you I was apprehensive when I first tried this recipe, because, when I think of Mexican food, I think of the usual cheese dip, taco salad, chips and salsa, burritos, enchiladas, and fajitas. Then, when I tasted the soup for the first time, I was not disappointed. It is just enough of a southwestern taste to satisfy that craving for that southwestern flavor.
It is not a hot soup at all but, if you prefer hotter recipes then you could add jalapenos, to this soup it is versatile to be altered to your liking. This is more like a vegetable soup with a southwestern flare. The tortilla strips that are fried and then placed on top of the soup for added crunch, make this recipe stand apart from the other recipes like this.
Of course, with any Mexican type recipe, you are able to add your favorite toppings such as avacado, black and green olives, fresh tomatoes and sour cream. You may even want some shredded cheddar cheese or the Mexican blend cheese that can be purchased at your local grocery store. This can be served on top of the soup. In my opinion, everything is better with cheese.
As always, I like to separate my toppings such as cheese, sour cream and jalapenos etc., in little serving bowls so that each individual person can put they want to on the soup.
This soup is served great with Mexican cornbread and this too can be made as mild or as hot as you want it. I like to pour half of the cornbread batter in the black iron skillet, top that with some cheese (like Velveeta), and then if desired, add corn and/or jalapenos then pour the rest of the batter on the cheese, jalapenos and corn.
You may also fix regular cornbread or french bread and crackers.
You can combine these ingredients and put them in the crock pot to keep them warm. You should see the excitement when guests can make their own combination I hope that you get many uses of it, Please feel free to share with friends and family. If you have a recipe that is a favorite of your,leave your thoughts or your own recipe ideas in the comments box located at the bottom of this page. I hope that you do, actually try these recipes. I also hope that you enjoy this as much as my family does.
Soup Cook Books
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 large tortillas or more cut into 1/2" strips
- 1/3 cup onion, chopped
- 2/3 cup green and red peppers, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour, sifted
- 2 (12oz.) cans chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 1 (16oz.) can veg-all mixed, vegetables with liquid
How to Prepare this South of the Borden Soup
- Heat the oil in a skillet and then add the tortilla strips and fry them stirring constantly until golden. Fix as many as you like. You can then drain them on a paper towel lined plate and set them aside to let them cool. This will also let some of the grease drip off,
- At this point, add the chopped onions and peppers to the oil in the skillet and cook on low heat and let simmer for a few minutes until they reach your desired tenderness. (Onions will be transparent).
- Then add the minced garlic and stir in the flour, then gradually stir in the chicken broth. Add the remaining ingredients and heat thoroughly.
- Top with the tortilla strips. I don't really know how long to cook this for sure but, the recipe just says to heat until warm. I would just cook the soup to the to the desired tenderness of the peppers and onions.
- Just keep an eye on the soup especially if you are cooking it on the stove top. If nothing else just to make sure it doesn't boil dry.
- The Original Toll House Cookie Story
- Simple Pan Roasted Garlic Shrimp
This a favorite of mine and mom's favorite meals to cook while at the beach. We get the fresh shrimp from the gulf and we dig in. This dish is a one skillet meal. This is also nice dish to fix at home for a romantic evening. It is also not a crime to
- Cheesy Chicken Enchiladas by lesliebyars
This chicken cheesy goodness bakes in the oven for only a little over 1/2 hour. I like recipes that are easy to prepare and will feed more than two people. I also have a couple of ideas to spice it up.
- Easy Feta Chicken Bake
This Feta Chicken is really a light meal that you could serve to your girlfriends in the summertime. This chicken will be so tender, you can cut it with a fork. The feta cheese adds a nice sharpness to the chicken. I do hope that you will try this gr
- Poppy Seed Chicken Casserole Recipe
I hate to repeat myself but, this quick and easy to make chicken casserole can be mixed up rather quickly and then the key is to let the casserole flavors blend.
- Country Ham and Cheese Casserole Recipe
This casserole recipe features you tube videos, pictures, ingredients, cook time, a ratings capsule. When making a ham and cheese casserole you use ham, seasoned croutons and cheese.
Mexican Chicken Soup
Chicken Broth Nutrition Ingredients
|Serving size: 1 cup|
|Calories from Fat||0|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 0 g|
|Saturated fat 0 g|
|Unsaturated fat 0 g|
|Carbohydrates 0 g|
|Sugar 1 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 570 mg||24%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Different types of soup
Chicken Noodle Soup
Broccoli & Cheese
Italian Wedding Soup
French Onion Soup
Creamy Chicken Vegetable
Cream of Chicken Soup
Cilantro is another spice that you could grow easily at home. It is popular in a lot of different Mexican type dishes and would be a great addition to have some fresh cilantro on the top of the soup. I personally do not care for cilantro versus other seasonings. However, it does make a nice touch to the meal.
This is a different kind of flavor, than the typical soups that I make. It is not a creamy soup but, it is very filling and very tasty soup that I hope that you will add to your favorites list of recipes.
It is amazing when you think about different food combinations, just by trying different spices. Going from warm to hot to scortching hot can be done, using the right spices.
© 2013 Buster Johnson