- Food and Cooking»
- Culinary Arts & Cooking Techniques
Southern Cooking , Meat Loaf
Delicious Tomato Gravy
1. Three Tablespoons Butter.
2. Three Tablespoons All Purpose Flour.
3. Two 10 Ounce Cans Tomatoes And Green Chilies.
4. One Sixteen Ounce Can Tomato Sauce.
5. Three Tablespoons Chopped Fresh Cilantro.
6. One Teaspoon Sugar.
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Whisk in your flour until it is smooth. Cook whisking constantly for one minute. Whisk in the rest of your ingredients and whisk every thing together well being sure to stir for the next three minutes. This gravy is excellent served over meatloaf.
A Healthier Meatloaf
To make a healthier meat loaf, start with lean beef or pork and place the meatloaf on a rack in a baking pan. This way the fat will drain off as the meat loaf bakes. You can if you wish replace half the ground beef with ground turkey.
Ground Turkey Meat Loaf
I've even made delicious meat loaves out of all turkey and Italian bread crumbs. You just have to think outside the box and see what you can come up with.
Time Saving Tip
For faster cooking, shape a long, narrow, free-form meat loaf in an aluminum foil lined baking pan. Wet your hands when you shape and form your meat loaf and it will be far less likely to crack while its baking.
Delicious Meatloaf Recipe
This is my Grandmothers recipe for Meatloaf. She made a meat loaf that was oh so delicious and people just begged her to make her meat loaf. Her recipe is pretty unique in the ingredients it uses. Just be sure to follow the recipe carefully and you'll have the most delicious meat loaf ever in no time at all.
For your meat loaf recipe you will need.
1. One Pound Ground Beef.
2. One Pound Of Ground Pork.
3. Four Large Eggs Beaten Very Well.
4. One Cup Peeled and Finely Chopped Carrots.
5. One Cup Finely Diced Yellow Sweet Onion.
6. Two Cups French Bread Crumbs.
7. One Teaspoon Ground Cayenne Pepper.
8. One Teaspoon Ground Sea Salt.
9. Two Six Ounce Cans Tomato Paste.
10. Ketchup to coat your meat loaf with.
You will want to mix 1-9 together very well and shape into a meat loaf with your hands. Once you have your meat loaf formed you'll want to take your hands and cover the outside of your meat loaf with a thin layer of ketchup.
Now you will want to bake your meatloaf at 350 degrees in a preheated oven until your meat loaf reaches an internal temperature of 160 degrees. Once your meat loaf is done remove it from the oven and allow it to cool slightly before you slice and serve your meat loaf.
I love the meat loaf served with homemade mashed potatoes , brown gravy , green beans and homemade biscuits. And cold meat loaf sandwiches are delicious also.
Please feel free to post your comments , tips , suggestions , and questions about meat loaf now.