- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes»
- Quick & Easy Healthy Foods
Healthy Southwest Quinoa with Black Beans Recipe - Quick and Easy Vegetarian Side dish
Quinoa is a grain-like seed that fluffs up nicely and makes a great meal alternative to rice, buckwheat or couscous. It is high in protein, which makes it ideal as a side dish in a vegetarian diet, though even meat eaters can benefit from the health benefits - and taste! - of quinoa.
There are many ways to cook it. One of my favorite ways, though, is to mix quinoa with black beans and corn. It is a simple recipe that produces flavorful results!
Rate this Recipe
- 1 Chopped Onion (Medium)
- 3 Gloves of Garlic, Minced
- 3/4 cup dry quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 cup canned or frozen corn kernals
- 2 (15oz) cans black beans
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 tsp cumin
- Heat the oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Fry until brown.
- Add the quinoa, vegetable broth, cayenne pepper and 1 tsp cumin.
- Boil the mixture. Cover. Let simmer for 20 minutes, or until the water is absorbed.
- Stir in the corn. If frozen, simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Stir in the black beans. Salt and pepper to taste then serve.