Southwest Soup with Lime Cream
Sweet Potato Soup with Lime Infused Sour Cream
Packed with about 500% of the recommended daily intake of vitamin A, sweet potatoes are a starch you can actually feel good about eating! They are very affordable, and can be found loose at the grocery store any time of the year.
They are packed with antioxidants- vitamin A, B6, C and E, and the rich orange color practically screams beta carotene! Why not turn these nutritional power houses into this quick and easy soup. Due to the starch content, it is quite filling, and won't leave you routing through the cupboard for a snack later!
Makes a great casual main course, served with crusty bread, cornbread, or even tortilla chips. Also elegant enough to serve as a first course for company. Packs well for lunches too!
The lime sour cream is a great trick, and can be used in a number of southwest dishes where sour cream is called for. Can be substituted for Greek yogurt as well. Enjoy!
Step by Step
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne powder
- large tetra pack chicken stock, about 3 1/2 cups
- 3 medium to large sweet potatoes, peeled and chunked
- 1 cup milk or coffee cream
- 1 teaspoon cornstartch
- zest and juice of 1 lime
- 1 cup sour cream
- In a large soup pot, melt butter over medium heat. Add onion and saute for 5 minutes. Add garlic and spices, continue cooking 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add chicken stock and sweet potatoes. Cover and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes until potatoes fall apart when poked with a knife.
- Transfer in batches to a food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Return back to soup pot. Add cornstartch to milk, and stir until combined. Add milk to the soup, and heat until steaming, but do not boil.
- Meanwhile, zest and juice lime into the sour cream. When soup is hot, stir in half of the sour cream until heated through. Taste for salt, and season accordingly.
- Ladle soup into bowls, and dollop remaining sour cream on top. Freshly grind pepper to finish.