Spaghetti (Squash) & Homemade Pasta Sauce
Boosts the body's detoxification of enzymes which helps clear potentially carcinogenic (cancer-causing) substances more quickly. Kale is the most concentrated source of carotenoids which filter ultraviolet light and prevent your eyes from damage, along with vitamin A for vision health. Kale is an excellent source of antioxidants, vitamins C, B6, E, V1, & B2, niacin, Omega-3 fatty acids, dietary fiber, folic acid, potassium, and iron. It also contains about 2.5 g of protein per 1 cup of cooked kale. Kale also contains compounds which neutralize free radicals and help to protect the DNA in your genes. Green leafy vegetable can supply adequate amounts of calcium and iron without the negatives associated with milk and red meat.
Tomatoes (cooked) contain lycopene which has been proven to reduce the risk of heart attack by 50% and lower the risk of prostate cancer. Some studies suggest that lycopene may help in reducing the risk of colon, rectal or breast cancer.
- 2 cans (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, (with italian seasonings works well)
- 1 can (6 oz) tomato paste
- 1-2 cups spinach or kale, chopped
- 1/3 cup fresh parsely, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 zucchini, chopped
- 1/4 - 1/2 onion, finely chopped
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese, optional
- Cut squash in half lengthwise. Place in microwave safe container, "meat" side down, and fill with about 1/2 in water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave on high for 7 minutes.
- Place all ingredients except kale or spinach, zucchini and onion in food processor. Process until smooth.
- In a large skillet over medium heat saute the finely chopped onion in olive oil for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add chopped kaleor spinach and saute for about 2 more minutes or until kale or spinach starts to wilt. Add the blended tomato sauce and chopped zucchini.
- Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When squash is cooled, scoop out the seeds and discard them. Then scrape the inside of the squash with a spoon and place in a dish.
- Spoon sauce over squash, add parmesan if desired, and enjoy!!