Spaghetti With Homemade Meat Sauce
Homemade Meat Sauce is easy to make! Brown lean ground beef with Garlic and Olive Oil. Add tomatoes and spices. It smells so good while it's simmering and is so much more delicious than sauce in a jar. This recipe has been a family favorite for years.
VEGETARIAN and GLUTEN FREE VARIATIONS
Instead of Ground Beef add Gardein Meatless Ground crumbles and/or Meatballs. Thaw crumbles and meatballs and add to pasta sauce
To make this meal Gluten Free use Gluten Free spaghetti noodles. Gluten Free meatballs can be found in the freezer section of your favorite grocery store.
Zucchini or Butternut Squash spirals may be used in place of spaghetti noodles
- 1 1/2 lbs. lean Ground Beef
- 1-16 ounce can of Diced Tomatoes
- I-8 ounce can Tomato Sauce
- 2-6 ounce cans Tomato Paste
- Chili Powder
- Garlic Powder (or 2-3 cloves Fresh Garlic, minced)
- Minced Onion (or 2 tbs. finely chopped onion)
- Black Pepper (1/8 -1/4 tsp.)
- 2 Bay Leaves
- 1 tsp. sugar
- Olive Oil (2 tbs.)
Make The Meat Sauce
- Brown Ground Beef with Garlic and Olive Oil
- Add Tomato Sauce, Tomato Paste and Diced Tomatoes and mix well
- Add approx. 1/4 cup of Red Wine or Water
- Add spices. Amounts will vary according to taste
- I add about 3 tbs Chili Powder
- 1-2 tsp Basil
- 1/2 tsp Oregano (I like Greek Oregano)
- about 1 tbs Minced Onions
- Add lesser amounts for starters. Taste the sauce after it has simmered for about 20 minutes and adjust your spices.
- Stir frequently and add more Red Wine/Water if sauce becomes too thick as it simmers. The longer the sauce simmers the more flavorful it will be.
Even though the sauce does contain ground beef my family requests the addition of Meatballs. So, about 20 minutes before this meal is to be served I add a bag (about 15) frozen Italian Style Meatballs. They are fully cooked and just need to thaw and warm.
Slow Cooker Sauce and Meatballs
Add all sauce ingredients to a slow cooker (ground beef, if used, should be browned before adding to the slow cooker) Click here for a Slow Cooker Meatball recipe.
When you get home from work all you need to do is cook the Spaghetti and your dinner will be ready to serve!
Serve and Enjoy!
- I serve this Meatsauce over Barilla Plus Multigrain Thin Spaghetti. It's a good source of Protein, Fiber and ALA Omega 3. It cooks in 8 minutes but may be cooked an additional minute for more tender pasta.
- Have a good Shredded Parmesan Cheese to sprinkle on top and don't forget the Garlic Bread!