Spanish for dinner? Authentic Chicken Paella Recipe with Saffron
Spanish Chicken Paella Recipe
Rate our recipe:
Tasty Paella Recipe:
Paella is a slow cooked rice dish with a variety of spices. It is generally made with seafood, but for those who prefer a protein punch, try your hand at this chicken and chorizo (Spanish sausage) recipe.
My favorite part of the paella is the crust, where the flavors settle and the rice is crunchy and full of flavor! Most paella recipes uses only two spices Saffron and Paprika, but this twist on the recipe also includes a hint of chilli to intense the flavors that little bit more. Using saffron allows the rice to turn yellow and to be delicate and aromatic.
- 500 grams Chicken fillets, (Diced)
- 1/2 tablespoon Saffron
- 1 tablespoon Boiling water
- 200 grams Chorizo sausages, Cut thinely
- 1 large brown onion, (diced)
- 3 Garlic cloves, (diced)
- 1/2 dry white wine
- 500 grams chicken stock
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- 400 grams diced tomatoes
- 1.5 teaspoons paprika
- 1 cup peas and corn
- 1 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 70 grams Parsley
- 2 lemons, (cut into wedges)
- 2 Hot red Chillis, (Finely chopped)
- Place saffron threads in a bowl. Add boiling water. Stand for 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a wok or heavy saucepan over high heat. Cook the chicken until it starts to turn golden. Add diced onions and garlic until aromatic. Then remove into a separate plate. Don't let the saucepan fill up with water from the chicken! You just need the chicken to start to turn golden.
- Heat 2 teaspoons of oil and cook the chorizo until golden. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Return the chicken, garlic and onions to the pan, and add the rice and paprika. Stir occasionally letting the rice coated.
- Return the chorizo to the pan and also add the chicken stock and saffron. Add the white wine. Bring to boil. Let it summer for 15 minutes. Mix often to ensure that the rice and mixture does not coat and burn the bottom of the pan.
- Add the diced tomatoes and frozen peas, and cook for a further 10 minutes or until the chicken is tender and the rice has absorbed the stock.
- Toss in the parsley.
- Serve with lemon on the side.