Tufahija - Spicy Cooked & Baked Apples Recipe
This delicious recipe originates from Persia and were introduced to the people of Balkan during the Ottoman Empire. We can find origin of word tufahija in Arabic language. Word tuffàh (Arabic: تفاحة) means apple. The basic ingredients are walnuts, apples, water and sugar. But there are a lot of variations. Generally, this is Bosnian delicacy, but people from Macedonia and Serbia also love this delicious sweet dish. It is very sweet, so you can reduce the sugar up to your taste. They are served cold. And believe me nothing easier to prepare. No errors, and you will impress all your guests. The fact that last for centuries speaks for itself. Tufahija is very refreshing, tasty and light.
- 4 apples, medium, Granny Smith
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 lemon, juice of
- 1/2 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped
- 2 teaspoon brown sugar, muscovado
- 10 pcs cloves
- 4 teaspoons vanilla sugar
- 2 tespoons nutmeg, ground
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon, ground
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon raisins, soaked in warm water
- few drops white rum
- 1 whipped cream
- Add water, sugar, half of vanilla sugar, lemon juice and cloves into a saucepan enough to hold 4 apples. Bring to a boil, simmer for a five minutes, stirring to dissolve all the sugar.
- Peel and core apples. Reserve the peelings for the next step. Add the apples gentle to the sugar syrup. Simmer on medium heat until they are medium soft, not musshy, approximately 5 - 10 minutes. Do not overcook the apples, it is very important.The apples taste best when they are stewed to the right firmness and are not too soft. Remove the apples very gentle and place on a plate to cool. Then put them in to the fridge.
- Add the peelings from the step two into the syrup and simmer next 10 minutes. Strain syrup and leave it to cool, than chill it into the fridge.
- Whisk the egg white with the second half of vanilla sugar. Stir together with raisins, cinnamon, nutmeg, and walnuts. Put a pinch of brown sugar and few drops of white rum in the hole. Fill the apple with the mixture
- Put the filled apples in the oven and bake for 10 minutes
- Remove from the oven on a rack to cool.
- Put the apples in the glass bowl, pour syrup over them and top with whipped cream.
InstructionsClick thumbnail to view full-size
Very similar dishes are prepared all over the world. Baked apples stuffed with oatmeal & spiced brown sugar, Baked apples with brown sugar and raisins, Stewed apples even Poached Pears and Poached Peaches. Common ingredients are cinnamon, brown sugar and raisins. Let your imagination run wild and create your own specialty.
Nutritional Facts for Tufahija
|Serving size: 480 gr|
|Calories from Fat||81|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 9 g||14%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 123 g||41%|
|Sugar 116 g|
|Fiber 5 g||20%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 6 mg|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Do You Find Tufahija Tasty
How to Make Tufahije from Bosnia and Herzegovina
Easy Baked Apples from Amy L. Tarr
- Easy Baked Apples
The simplest baked apple recipe you'll see. A family favorite in the making.
Bosnia - home of Tufahija
This content is accurate and true to the best of the author’s knowledge and is not meant to substitute for formal and individualized advice from a qualified professional.
© 2014 Nikolic Predrag