Spicy Corn Cakes with Black Bean Sauce
Cast your vote!
This is a great recipe if you want something a little more fancy for your taco-night. The corn cakes are very easy to make, if you've ever made pancakes, the process shouldn't be foreign to you.
You can pick up your favorite salsa to top the corn cakes with also. I'd recommend that if you use salsa, to leave out the tomatoes in the black bean sauce, all those tomato flavors could overpower the flavor of the black beans.
- 1 can, 16 oz. Black Beans, drained
- 1 tsp. Oregano, chopped
- 2/3 cup, 3 oz. Ground Cornmeal
- 2 tbs. Flour
- 1/4 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 cup, 8 fl. oz. Buttermilk
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 cup, 3 oz. Frozen corn kernels
- 2 tbs. Canola oil
- dollop Sour Cream
- 1/2 cup. Cilantro, chopped
- 3 tbs. Butter, melted
- Salt and Pepper, to taste
- 2 tsp. Chili Powder
- half can, 8 oz. Chopped tomatos, optional
- Prepare the beans: In a saucepan over medium heat, stir together the beans, oregano, and 1 tsp. of the chili powder. If desired, add the half-can of diced tomatoes as well.
- Cook stirring occasionally, until the beans are heated through. Then remove from heat, and cover.
- Make the batter: (dry ingredients) In a bowl, mix the cornmeal, flour, and baking soda, the remaining tsp. of chili powder, 1/2 tsp. of salt, and pepper.
- (wet ingredients) In another bowl, mix the butter, buttermilk, and egg until well combined. Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and quickly mix together until blended. Lumps are fine. Fold in the corn kernels.
- Heat a large cast-iron frying pan over medium-high heat. Brush it with 1 tsp. of the oil.
- Add the batter to the pan in batches. Each pancake should take approximately 1/4 cup of the batter at a time. Cook until the cakes are golden brown, flipping once. Cooking time for each cake is approximately 4 minutes.
- Stir the batter and re-apply the pan with oil between every batch. Once cooked, transfer the cakes to a plate.
- Top the cakes with with the black bean sauce, a dollop of sour-cream and sprinkle with cilantro. Enjoy!