Spicy Jicama and Pomelo Salad Recipe
Jicama salads, or even just jicama batons sprinkled with a little lime, dried chili and salt, are a classic opener to a Mexican meal – a very refreshing kick start to your appetite, getting you good and ready for the bold flavors to come.
Jicama works very well with citrus, classically with orange, but in an East meets West twist, it also works very well with pomelo - and a salad made with pomelo and jicama works as well with a South East Asian meal as it does with a south of the border Mexican repast.
Pomelo, if you’ve never had one, looks something like a very large grapefruit. It’s not quite as tart as a grapefruit and in my estimation, it’s much tastier. The segments of a pomelo open up to reveal little bursts of citrus with a very pleasant texture. While you might have to work hard to peel the skin of a segment of orange for a salad, with pomelo, all you have to do is break a segment and pull out the interior.
Spicy Jicama, Pomelo and Sunflower Seed Salad
This is more of a guide to making this salad than a precise recipe – as it’s so easy and straightforward that listing exact quantities is hardly necessary.
- Some jicama, peeled and sliced into batons
- Some pomelo (a little less pomelo than the amount of jicama you used is about right - I use about 2 segments per person), segments broken open, any seeds discarded and pulp inside each segment taken out of skin.
- Fresh lime juice (about ¼ to ½ a lime per person/serving
- About 1 Tbls of sunflower seeds per person you’ll be serving
- Dried chili powder, to taste (you don’t want this salad to be fiery spicy, but you definitely want it to have an underlying heat.)
- Fresh cilantro, roughly chopped (a couple of Tbls per person)
- Salt, to taste
- In a mixing bowl, combine the jicama, the pomelo, the cilantro and the sunflower seeds. Give it all a generous squeeze of lime juice, a couple of pinches of salt and a couple of pinches of dried chili.
- Taste for seasoning and add more lime, salt or chili as necessary.
Serve and enjoy!
More Jicama Ideas
- Roast Beef and Jicama Rolls. A Great Appetizer Using...
If youre not into jicama youre missing out on a very good thing. Sort of appley, sort of peary, very crispy and refreshing and as light as air in your mouth while still packing a wallop crunch!...