- Food and Cooking»
- Starter & Snack Recipes
Kerala Style Mango Pickle / Manga Achar : Recipe
Rate this Manga Achar
Mango Pickle or Nadan Manga Achar
Kerala Mango Pickle or Manga Achar is one of the favorite and common pickle, mostly used daily in kerala. Mango Pickle is easier to prepare . It is so tastier, that we could try it with any food items.
Kerala mango pickle is a must side dish (thodu curry - meaning a curry which can be touched with a finger, any time the portion of meal is eaten) while having meals. During our childhood days, we used to prepare, mango dish, simply by mixing chilly powder and salt, during our playtime, under the Mango trees. The sour and sweet taste of Mango is so tempting that it tastes the best, while made into achar.
In past, our grandma used to make pickles in large clay vessels - Bharani and the pickle tastes better, when it is kept for days in the earthen pot/ Bharani. The more you keep, the more tastier it becomes.. It's really a nostalgic memory; our mother used to prepare these pickles, while we set for a long journey from home.
Tip for the taste of Mango Pickle
You need to cut the mangoes in desired shapes, apply salt and keep it overnight to soften the same and let the salt be a part of the mango itself. This indeed, determines the taste of Mango Pickle
Ingredients for Mango Pickle
- 1/2 Kg Mango, Cut into small pieces, and mix with salt, and keep it for 8 hours
- One teaspoon Chilli Powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Fenugreek powder
- 1/4 teaspoon Asafoetida powder
- 3/4 teaspoon Salt, to mix the Mango
- 2 pods Curry Leaves
- One table spoon Gingelly Oil
- One teaspoon Ginger Garlic Paste
- 1/4 teaspoon Mustard seeds
Tip for mango pickle
Grind the items - Fenugreek powder, Asafoetida powder, Curry Leaves, Ginger Garlic Paste and fry the same in Gingelly Oil; Make sure that you don't burn the same. Put the mangoes in this mixture, mix it well. The taste of powder, slightly fried in oil is different from that of the raw powder.
Stages for preparing Mango Pickle
How to make Manga Achar
- Cut Mango into small pieces and mix it with salt and keep it aside for 8 hours.
- Then Heat Oil in a pan, add mustard seeds, once it splutters, add curry leaves and add Ginger-garlic paste to it
- Once the same turns brown, add the chilli powder, asafoetida powder and Fenugreek powder to it.
- once the powder gets mixed with the oil, add the Mango along with the water left in the mix due to salt.
- Mix all the ingredients and off the flame of the Gas
- Once the same is cooled, transfer the same into airtight, glass container and keep it refrigerated for further use.
- If the Oil seems to be less, heat some more oil in pan and once the same is cooled, add it into the achar container.
Achar to last long
Use only dry spoon to get the achar, otherwise there is possibility to get fungus in the achar and it will spoil the whole achar.
Achar Powder - available at Shops Vs homemade
Now a days we get the ready mix of achar powder, to make achar. But there are many news of adulterated food and hence I will advise you to make achar powder at home itself. It is quiet tastier, when compared to the market available achar powder.
It needs some mirchi powder, fenugreek powder and Asafoetida powder. Asafoetida powder will last longer. We need to prepare fenugreek powder by roasting and then grinding and then keeping it is airtight storage. It will stay good for 5-6 months.
My Other recipe
- How to make Kerala style Lemon Pickle ( Naranga Acha...
Lemon Pickle is one of the most favorite pickles of south India. Lemon Pickle is easy to make and can be kept for years. Lemon pickle is at its best, as it becomes old. Pickling is an ancient food- preservation technique. In Kerala, we name it as “Na
- Snake Gourd in Chilli Style Recipe : Padavalanga in ...
Let me share a new recipe using snake gourd. Snake gourd is otherwise known as padavalanga in Malayalam. This is an experimented dish made out of snake gourd, the recipe seen in a magazine, my version
- Nadan Kerala Style Spicy Prawn roast : from my mothe...
Prawn Roast of Chemmen Roast Recipe is the simple kerala style recipe. It is easier enough and simple receipe for preparing Prawn. There is step by step pictures too included to describe the procedures, correctly and to be in order. The prawn recipe
- How to make Puttu : Kerala Breakfast Recipe
Puttu is one of the favorite recipes of Kerala. It is the favorite breakfast for us. Puttu is an easy made food and doesn’t require much work to be done. The usual combination is Puttu and Kadala (Brown Chickpea) Curry or Puttu, Payar (green gram cur
- How to make Palappam - traditional breakfast of Kera...
Palappam is the traditional breakfast of Kerala. It is one of the important dishes during the functions of traditional Suriyani Christians. It is made of ‘Pachari’ white rice. It is sometimes known as vellayappam. It is usually served along with coco
© 2013 DEEPA JOHN