Easy Appetizer Recipe: Spicy Puff Pastry Twists
- Puff Pastry sheets, thawed
- Spices -- I used Italian herbs, red pepper, and Romano cheese
- Wooden Spoon
- Rolling pin (or round pint glass - I couldn't find my rolling pin...)
- Baking pan
Make it Even More Fun!
- To make these extra crispy, really smush down that puff pastry! You can make it thinner than 1cm.
- Some people make these into sweet appetizer or dessert munchies by using cinnamon and sugar. You can even put icing on top or make Cinnamon Chip Dip.
- You can also melt butter and drizzle it on top with some garlic.
- Instead of spinning them around a spoon, try folding them in a zig zag and pressing them again with the rolling pin to create a great dipper.
- Preheat oven to 350o.
- Lay out the thawed puff pastry sheet on a large cutting board covered with a thin layer of all-purpose flour. With a rolling pin, flatten it until it is about 1 cm thick.
- Spread your spices of choice out evenly over the puff pastry sheet. With mildly flavorful spices, you should make a fairly thick layer of spices. For spices like red pepper, be gentle.
- Smush the spices into the soft puff pastry with your rolling pin.
- Fold the puff pastry in halfway long-ways, making it into a long rectangle. It may be sort of a square, in which case, fold it in half so that the fold is facing you, not on the side.
- Spread more spices over the puff pastry sheet. Use about half as much as you did the first time.
- Smush the spices into the puff pastry sheet again.
- With a knife, slice the puff pastry sheet into 3/4 inch thick strips along the short side.
- With the handle of the wooden spoon and your puff pastry strips, make little puff pastry spirals beginning from the middle of the wooden spoon handle. In other words, wrap the puff pastry strip at an angle along the wooden spoon with the spicy side up. The spices will end up inside your spoon.
- Smush the spoon down onto the cutting board to hold the spiral together and slide the spoon out. The pastry should hold its shape.
- Place the spirals on your baking pan and bake at 350o for 20 minutes.
- Cool and serve!
Yields about 2 dozen.