How to Make Spicy Corn and Tomato Salad : Simply Cooking Light for Summer
Recipe : How to make spicy corn and tomato salad
Vine ripe tomatoes chopped into chunks
Healthy food | Tasty and nutritious corn and tomato salad
Corn and tomato salad - This refreshing and tasty corn and tomato salad is great for having during the summer time or at any time of the year. For this spicy corn and tomato salad recipe, I was inspired by the presentation of a like dish on the Rachel Ray show so I must credit that. This delicious corn and tomato salad would be the perfect complement to various main dishes such as tacos, burritos or other Mexican cuisine or perhaps to the main entrée of a roasted chicken.
I recently ate this spicy corn and tomato salad dish with the latter and it was great. I found the spicy corn and tomato salad to be tasty, colorful and for the moment more appealing than a traditional lettuce and tomato salad perhaps because I have grown tired of lettuce and tomato salads for now.
I like variety in my food so with lettuce and tomato salad I make all types of variations including Greek salad, chef salad and more. Nevertheless this branching away from lettuce completely and having corn and tomato salad instead was quite refreshing.
This refreshing and tasty corn and tomato salad is great for having during the summer time or at any time of the year!
What you will need to make spicy corn and tomato salad
Prep time: 15 minutes
What you will need:
- 2 corn on the cob
- 2 all natural vine ripe tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of black pepper
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- a few dashes of green chile pepper sauce
- 1 tablespoon of canola or olive oil
- This spicy corn and tomato salad recipe serves 2 (You can increase the ingredients for more people.)
Spicy corn and tomato salad prep time: 15 minutes
HOW TO MAKE SPICY CORN AND TOMATO SALAD
Instructions for how to make spicy corn and tomato salad
- To begin preparing the corn and tomato salad, you can start with fresh or frozen whole corn on the cob. I haven't used canned corn for this dish but you might give it a try if it is all that is readily available to you or as a short cut if you are pressed for time.
- Boil the corn in salted boiling water for approximately ten minutes.
Boil the corn on the stovetop for ten minutes in a pot of salted boiling water.
3. After draining the corn and allowing it to cool, wash and cut two all natural vine ripe tomatoes into medium sized chunks.
4. Cut the corn off the cob by holding it vertically on a cutting board and using a knife to slice the corn away. It is okay if the kernels are not all individual for presentation and some pieces have the actual look of being sliced off the cob in chunks.
5. Place the cut corn on top of the tomato chunks in individual serving bowls- one tomato and one corn on the cob per bowl.
There is one tomato and one corn on the cob per serving bowl of this spicy corn and tomato salad.
Delicious servings of corn and tomato salad
6. Mix the corn and tomatoes together in each of the bowls. Add salt, garlic powder and oil to each bowl. Mix well.
7. Sprinkle the black pepper and green chile pepper sauce on top of each dish. Allow these to remain visible on top of the dish by not mixing much.
Enjoy your spicy corn and tomato salad!
On top of the spicy corn and tomato salad, sprinkle the black pepper as well as dashes of green chile pepper sauce.
Nutritional information for spicy corn and tomato salad
Please note that the nutritional information below is just an estimate. Caloriecount.com states that one small to medium whole vine ripe tomato has approximately 16 calories while a corn on the cob has 44 calories. We must also add the small amount of oil that will be in each serving of the spicy corn and tomato salad.
Also, remember that just one tablespoon of olive oil has 120 calories and 14 grams of fat.
Approximately 130 calories per serving seems to be a good measure for the spicy corn and tomato salad.
I think that this is a very tasty and satisfying salad that is well worth the number of calories and fat or percentage of daily value. It is very healthy.
A bowl of this spicy corn and tomato salad has approximately 130 calories.
|Calories from Fat||72|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 8 g||12%|
|Carbohydrates 11 g||4%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
Please rate this recipe:
© 2010 Nyesha Pagnou MPH