Spinach Dal Recipe
The word ‘Dal’ in Hindi can mean a combination of any kind of lentils or pulses. The dal can also be made along with some greens like spinach or fenugreek or some vegetables. In this recipe, I have made the dal along with spinach or palak leaves. The dal is then flavored with some spices and seasoned. What is most important while making any kind of ‘dal’ is its consistency which can be done by simmering the dal. Dals can be eaten along with some plain rice or just simple rotis too.
Ingredients for Spinach Dal
- 1 bunch of fresh Palak or Spinach (finely chopped)
- Half cup Toor dal
- 1 Tomato (finely cut)
- 1 Onion (finely chopped)
- 1 tbsp Garlic flakes (finely cut)
- Half tsp Red Chili powder
- Half tsp Turmeric powder
- 2 tsp Ghee or Oil
- Half tsp Jeera or Cumin seeds
- Half tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 dried and broken Red Chili
- A pinch of Hing or Asafetida
- A few Curry leaves (optional)
- Salt to taste
How to make Spinach Dal
- Pressure cook the toor dal along with salt to taste and haldi powder upto four whistles on medium flame until it is well cooked
- When the steam subsides, open the cooker and mash the dal well with a heavy ladle.
- Take a frying pan, heat some oil or ghee in it and add the mustard seeds, cumin seeds, hing, curry leaves and the broken dried red chili in the pan.
- When the seeds splutter, add the garlic flakes and the chopped onion and fry on low flame for some time.
- Now add the chopped tomatoes in this pan and cook till the tomatoes turn a little soft and mushy.
- Meanwhile wash the palak or spinach leaves nicely in lots of water and add the leaves in the pan along with the other seasoning ingredients and let it cook for some time until the leaves begin to wilt a little.
- Add some red chili powder to this tempering and transfer this seasoning to the mashed and cooked dal.
- Mash the dal and the tempering nicely and let the dal cook for some time till it is a little thick in consistency.
- Delicious Spinach Dal is now ready. Serve it along with some plain rice or hot rotis.