- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Spinach and Feta Filo Bake
Packed with spinach, renown for being filled with vitamins and an array of minerals, this easy bake is perfect for cold, wintery evenings. Ready in just under an hour using fresh (and homemade wherever possible) ingredients, it's the perfect dinner fix.
- 6 sheets shop bought filo pastry
- 1 large egg
- 250 ricotta (shop bought or homemade)
- 200 baby spinach
- 1 bunch spring onions
- 1 leek
- black pepper, to taste
- nutmeg, to taste
- Using a ceramic pie dish and ensuring the dish is well greased, layer filo sheets, oiling each one individually, gently placing one on top of the other.
- Soften your leeks, garlic and spring onions in a heavy based pan. Add the spinach and cover the pan, wilting the spinach over a low heat. Once the spinach has wilted, remove from the heat and squeeze through a sieve to remove as much excess water as possible. To get rid of any remaining liquid, wash your hands and squeeze the spinach mix between your palms.
- Leave the spinach, leek and garlic mix to cool whilst whisking your eggs and ricotta together, adding black pepper.
- Once the spinach mixture has cooled entirely, add to the egg and ricotta, stiring to combine. Pour the combined spinach and egg mix into the prepared pastry and gently fold the filo edges over the top of the pie.
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees celsius for approximately 35 minutes. Leave the bake to cool slightly prior to serving.
What's your favourite filling?
Which would you choose...
Is food your thing? Read on!...
- Why Are Superfoods Good For You?
Summing up the new buzz word