- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- South Asian Cuisine
Low Calorie Spinach, Cottage Cheese Recipe
Indian Vegetarian Recipe, Palak-Paneer (Spinach and Cottage Cheese Recipe)
Paneer-Palak—(Low Calorie Vegetarian Recipe)
When visiting an Indian family for dinner, and that too, a vegetarian, Palak-Paneer is a favorite in the menu list. And I’m sure you are going to love this recipe.
This is a low calorie recipe, and is full of nutritional value, minus fat.
An immensely popular Indian vegetarian recipe called, Palak-Paneer. Palak means Spinach and Paneer means Cottage cheese.
Health benefits of Spinach and Cottage Cheese:
The health benefits of Spinach is known to everyone. It contains ample amount of Vitamin A and C, has fiber, and is recommended to people, with Iron deficiency.
Many interesting recipes can be created with Spinach, without destroying it’s nutritional value and they are delicious.
Cottage cheese on the other hand has goodness of milk. It has protein, but a little less in fat, and easy to digest. It is a favorite for people, who prefer low calorie food, and are on diet.
Paneer or Cottage Cheese can be easily prepared fresh at home, anytime.
Home made Paneer is not only soft, but also fresh.
- 200 gm. Cottage Cheese
- 200 gm. Spinach leaves bunch
- 1 tablespoonful butte,r or refined oil
- 1 teaspoonful finely chopped garlic
- 1 or 2 green chilly
- salt to taste
- Lots of Love and Care
Instructions for making Paneer:
- Heat 1 liters of toned milk. bring it to boil.
- Turn off the heat. Add 2 tablespoonful of lemon juice to the boiled milk.
- Stir with a flat spoon and let it curdle.
- Add more lemon juice, if required. The solid paneer will be separated and the liquid would appear transparent.
- Pass the mixture through a sieve or a muslin cloth.
- The paneer will get collected in the sieve.
- One liter of milk will give 200 gm. of Paneer.
- Let the Paneer cool down, before adding it to the spinach paste.
Preparing Spinach Paste
- Wash spinach thoroughly, and cut finely. Put in a pot on slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Cool and grind in a food processor. Keep aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame. Add butter, or refined oil. When it is warm enough, add asafoetida, or Hing (optional), garlic, and chilly to the oil. Then, add square, or triangular cut cottage cheese pieces into the pan, and fry for 2 to 3 minutes, and then add spinach paste. Keep cooking for 5 to 7 minutes, and add salt.
- Serve hot with chapati, or paratha ( Indian bread options). If making chapati, or paratha is not possible, it can even be enjoyed with fresh soft bread.
- Generally people in India like to enjoy this recipe with white home made butter, or Pure Ghee. But if you are a calorie counter, you can skip the butter.
The health benefits of Paneer:
Paneer is rich in minerals such as--
Iron, Copper, Magnesium, Manganese, Phosphorus and Selenium.
It also helps to prevent certain chronic diseases like Diabetes, High blood pressure, and also prevents certain Cancers.
Paneer is good for weight maintenance, since it is low in calorie. It also delays aging.
It helps to lower the bad cholesterol.
It is a rich source of protein, therefore good for skin and hair.
10 health benefits of Spinach, Source: YouTube
Would you try this recipe at home?
To sum up:
Precautions or useful Tips:
1. Whenever you are preparing something with Paneer, please remember not to overcook it, as the Paneer will turn rubbery, and its natural juices will dry up.
2. If you want Spinach to retain its natural, rich, green color, do not cover the recipe, with a lid, while cooking it.
3. A little care should be taken, while buying Spinach leaves, or bunch. They should be fresh, green, and crisp. Do not buy yellowish leaves.
4. Wash the bunch thoroughly in running water, so that all mud etc. is washed away.
5. All leafy vegetables must be washed first, and then cut for preparation, so that all the nutrition is not washed away.
6. It is always better to prepare the Greens fresh. Freshly cooked Spinach tastes better than the refrigerated one.
7. You can enjoy this recipe with Tandoori Roti or Parathas.
Note: Don't miss the video!
Low calorie vegetarian recipes, source: You tube
4 Best Indian Paneer Recipes, Source: YouTube
Quick spinach recipe, Indian style, source: YouTube
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan