Low Calorie Indian Vegetarian Recipe : Palak-Paneer or Spinach-Cottage Cheese Recipe!
Palak-Paneer or Spinach n Cottage Cheese
Paneer-Palak-- a very popular Indian recipe
© Chitrangada Sharan Oct. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
If you are visiting an Indian family for dinner and that too, a vegetarian, Palak-Paneer is a favorite in the menu list. And I am sure you are going to love this recipe.
This is a low calorie recipe and is full of nutritional value, minus fat.
A very popular Indian vegetarian recipe called, Palak-Paneer. Palak means Spinach and Paneer means Cottage cheese.
Health benefits of Spinach and Cottage Cheese:
We all know the health benefits of Spinach. It is said to contain ample amount of vitamin A and C, has fiber and is recommended to people, with Iron deficiency. We can make it tastier, without destroying its nutritional value.
Cottage cheese, on the other hand has goodness of milk. It has protein, but a little less in fat and easy to digest. It is a favorite for people, who prefer low calorie food and are on diet.
You can make your own Paneer or Cottage Cheese. See the link.
Home made Paneer is not only soft but also fresh. And you can make it anytime.
Other related hubs by Chitrangada Sharan
- How To Make Fresh And Pure Panner or Cottage Cheese ...
Paneer or Cottage Cheese is a popular option for vegetarians in India. It is so versatile, it can be cooked both as a sweet as well as salted recipe. Have you tried making fresh Paneer it at home-----
- 200 gm. Cottage Cheese
- 200 gm. Spinach leaves bunch
- 1 tablespoonful butter or refined oil
- 1 teaspoonful finely chopped garlic
- 1 or 2 green chilly
- salt to taste
- Lots of Love and Care
Preparing spinach paste
- Wash spinach thoroughly and cut finely. Put in a pot on slow flame for 5 to 7 minutes. Cool and grind in a food processor. Keep aside.
- Place a heavy bottomed pan on medium flame. Add butter or refined oil. When it is warm enough, add asafoetida or Hing (optional), garlic and chilly to the oil. Then add square or triangular cut cottage cheese pieces into the pan and fry for 2 to 3 minutes and then add spinach paste. Keep cooking for 5 to 7 minutes and add salt.
- Serve hot with chapati or paratha ( Indian bread options). If making chapati or paratha is not possible, it can even be enjoyed with fresh soft bread.
- Generally people in India like to enjoy this recipe with white home made butter or Pure Ghee. But if you are a calorie counter, you can skip the butter.
Other related hub by Chitrangada Sharan
- Quick, Low Calorie Indian Dessert Ideas : Cottage Ch...
Cottage cheese or Paneer as it is called in India is a versatile milk product and can be used to prepare many exotic recipes. Here is a low calorie dessert idea, simple, quick, needs few ingredients.
Would you try this recipe at home?
Precautions or useful Tips:
1. Whenever you are preparing something with Paneer, remember not to overcook it, as the Paneer will turn rubbery if you do that, and its natural juices will dry up.
2. If you want Spinach to retain its natural, rich, green color, do not cover the recipe, with a lid while cooking it.
3. A little care should be taken, while buying Spinach leaves or bunch. They should be fresh, green and crisp. Do not buy yellowish leaves.
4. Wash the bunch thoroughly in running water, so that all mud etc. is washed away.
5. All leafy vegetables must be washed first and then cut for preparation, so that all the nutrition is not washed away.
6. It is always better to prepare the Greens fresh. Freshly cooked Spinach tastes better than the refrigerated one.
7. You can enjoy this recipe with Tandoori Roti or Parathas.
Note: Don't miss the video!
© Chitrangada Sharan 31st Oct. 2012
All Rights Reserved.
PROTECTED: PLEASE DO NOT COPY!
Other Recipes by Chitrangada Sharan
- Popular Indian Dessert : Low Calorie Gaajar Ka Halwa...
An immensely popular Indian dessert, Gajar ka Halwa/ Carrot Delight, tastes delicious if served hot. Here is a low calorie version, cutting down on high calorie but not on taste and nutrition value.
- Interesting Facts About Traditional Indian Kitchen:T...
Authentic Indian kitchen and cooking comprises of many specific tools and techniques. It involves certain basic ingredients which are a must have in any Indian kitchen. Fusion food is also popular now.
- Easy, Yummy Dessert Ideas: How To Cook Caramel Custa...
Desserts are delicately made with lingering flavour which last as a sweet memory for a long time.There is no end to creating extraordinary desserts with imagination. Try this Caramel Custard dessert!
- Indian Wedding And Festival Sweets : Rawa-Besan Ladd...
A traditional Indian sweet, enjoyed almost on every festival or celebration in India. Commonly called, 'Laddoo,' it can have many variations in ingredients. I have used Gram flour and Semolina here.
- Quick Low Calorie Breakfast Recipes: Soft, Spongy Dh...
Its a popular saying,'The way to a man's heart is through his stomach!' Well, sadly yes! And what to do if your man loves variety in breakfast too! A quick breakfast recipe that needs few ingredients.
- How To Make Shakarpara:Popular Sweet For Indian Wedd...
It is true that no Indian festival/Weddings can be complete without sweets. Shakarpara is a must have in Indian weddings, exchanged between the bride and groom's family. Also prepared on Diwali n Holi .
Some other Indian low calorie vegan recipes, source: You tube
© 2012 Chitrangada Sharan