Sprucing up the poppy seed muffin
Yummy in a hurry
Baking creatively within a busy lifestyle
Many people think that it is important to be an expert in order to venture into that field. Sometimes it is expected of us simply because we are a mom, a host, or from a certain culture that stigma lies in. When people hear that I am Persian, they are always quick to invite themselves to my home for their next meal. However, I never learned to cook so it quickly became a subject matter that I tried to avoid. I hated seeing people's disappointed faces when I would say that I didn't know how to cook. I would eat and most of it came from a box, a can, or a packet. One day, I decided that I would try. I made a commitment not to follow any of the rules. I embraced that I am no culinary expert but that I know when something tastes good. I started by using that as my guide and I have been having fun since. It is rare that I make anything from scratch but I have come a long way from my TV dinner ways. Throwing things together because it is what I have has its rewards and I hope it helps with those of you out there who can relate.
Managing the time
You will need
- one store bought poppy seed muffin, Large size
- 1/2 cup fresh strawberries, sliced (nickel thickness)
- one tablespoon white sugar
Easy to follow instructions
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F
- Cut the muffin in half (not all the way) making sure that it doesn't separate.
- Rotate the muffin so the incision is parallel to you. Cut the muffin in half again making sure that you don't cut all the way through. You should have 4 "triangle like" shapes. If it falls apart slightly, do not fret. These are strawberry holding pockets.
- Generously place sliced strawberries in the openings.
- Sprinkle sugar on the top.
- Place muffin on oven rack lined with foiled.
- Once top of muffin is browned (approximately 20minutes in conventional oven), remove and enjoy.
- Scoop of vanilla bean is recommended. Also pairs well with citrus notes of certain coffees.
Nutrition (My Fitness Pal)
- poppy seed muffin (package info) = 533 calories
- 1/2 cup of strawberries = 25 calories
- 1 tablespoon white sugar = 48 calories