- Food and Cooking»
- Breakfast Recipes
St. Louis Gooey Butter Cake
- 3 Tablespoons Milk
- 2 Tablespoons Warm Water
- 6 Tablespoons Unsalted Butter, (Room Temperature)
- 1 3/4 Teaspoon Active Dry Yeast
- 1 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 3 Tablespoons Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1 3/4 Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 3 Tablespoons and 1 Teaspoon Light Corn Syrup, (FOR TOPPING)
- 2 Tablespoons Water
- 3/4 Cup (Equivalent to 12 Tablespoons) Unsalted Butter, (Room Temperature)
- 2 1/2 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- 1 1/2 Cups Granulated Sugar
- 1 Egg
- 1/2 Teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1 Cup and 3 Tablespoons All-Purpose Flour
- Powdered Sugar, (For sprinkling over the top; Optional)
- In a bowl mix up the Milk and the Warm Water, then add in the Yeast and whisk until it dissolves completely. Allow to sit for 5 minutes until it begins to look foamy.
- Now cream together the Sugar, Butter, and Salt until light and fluffy which is approximately 3 minutes. Beat in the egg now and add the flour in 3 parts alternating with Milk mixture. Beat the dough until it forms a smooth mass and pulls away from the sides of the bowl (around 7-10 minutes)
- In an ungreased 9x13 dish, press the dough in and cover; placing in a warm spot and let rise until doubled which is around 2 1/2 to 3 hours.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and to prepare the topping whisk together the Corn Syrup, Pure Vanilla Extract and Water in a small sized bowl. Cream together Sugar, Butter, and salt in another bowl and beat with a mixer until light and fluffy in consistency. (5-7 minutes) Scrape sides of the bowl and beat in the egg. Reduce speed and add in flour in 3 parts alternating with Corn Syrup mixture.
- With a spoon drop the topping by spoonfuls over the risen dough and with a spatula spread in out into an even layer. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes. Cake will rise and fall in waves and have a golden top but will still be liquid in the center part when done. Dust cake with Powdered Sugar. Enjoy!