- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Stay Healthy - Healthy Eating
Tasty Garbanzo Bean Pizza Dough
While trying to cut back on carbohydrates, I started making pasta from Garbanzo (chick pea) flour, which while challenging, was quite tasty! But, everyone still loves pizza (especially the kids), so while planning a "Make Your Own Pizza Party" for the (grand)kids, I thought what better time for the adults to try something a bit healthier.
This is a challenging 'dough' as it doesn't have the same texture that regular flours will give you, but be patient with it and it will yield a great finished product.
Remember...prep time is approx. 20 Minutes. There is still rise time to consider. Once you start cooking these, they are done QUICKLY or will burn easily. From the time you make your small dough balls, to serving your pizza will take about 15-20 minutes.
- 2 Tablespoons Yeast
- 1 Cup Warm Water, (you may reduce slighty if desired)
- 2 Teaspoons Salt
- 2 Teaspoons Sugar, (you may use brown sugar or honey if desired)
- 2 Eggs, Beaten
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 5 Cups Garbanzo (chick pea) flour, Save some for kneading
- 2 Teaspoons Arrowroot powder, (If dough is too soft, use to bind)
|Serving size: 1 personal pan size|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Unsaturated fat 3 g|
|Carbohydrates 2 g||1%|
|Fiber 1 g||4%|
|Protein 3 g||6%|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
In your mixer with the dough hook...
- Place warm water, sugar, salt and yeast in bowl and allow the yeast to bloom. This should take several minutes. Once bubbles have appeared, turn mixer onto low speed and start adding flour slowly. Scrape bowl regularly. Once half of the flour has been added, add 1 Tablespoon of the olive oil and continue adding flour until all is added. Be sure to save a small amount of the flour for kneading. The dough will be very moist, but once all flours have been added, continue to knead with mixer for another few minutes until the dough is smoother. Then, turn onto floured board and knead by hand for another few minutes. Take the balance of the olive oil and coat a large bowl. Once dough has come completely together, turn into the oiled bowl making sure to coat the dough well. Cover and place in a warm area to rise.
- After dough has risen, pull small 'balls' off, flatten and place on a hot grill. Press down, sear well and turn. At this point, you can pull off grill and put your desired toppings on...put back on grill and finish cooking. If you wish, finish off this part in the broiler!