Steak Salad with Spinach, Bleu Cheese and Red Wine Vinaigrette
I know normally the words 'leftover' and 'rib eye' just don't go together, but believe it or not it happened in my life recently. That was when I developed this salad, and was really glad I did.
There's no reason of course to have to try to wait on leftover steak - you can do this straight out of the gate. It's actually a good way to stretch a high quality cut to serve more people. The richness of the meat is countered beautifully by the crunch of the spinach, the tangy bite of the dressing and the funkiness that is the loveliness of bleu cheese. I made a big old salad - and had plenty enough for two people. For more information on ensuring your steak is perfect, check out How to Cut and Grill a Ribeye.
- 1 1 inch thick ribeye, or other good quality steak
You can use either a cold leftover steak, or grill one fresh. Either one is good, but I'll give a slight nod to a warm steak against the cold, crunchy greens.
- 4 cups of dark greens, preferably baby spinach, washed and cut
- 1/4 cup crumbled bleu cheese
For the dressing:
- 1/2 cup red wine vinegar
- 1 large clove garlic
- 1 1/2 Tbl Dijon mustard
- 1 Tbl honey
- 1 tsp freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 Tbl lemon
- 1 cup good olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley
- In the bowl of a food processor or a blender, place the first seven ingredients for the dressing. Process thoroughly, then with the blade running, drizzle in the olive oil slowly. Add the parsley and pulse just a second or two more.
- If necessary, grill steak and allow to rest. Slice the steak into thin strips.
- Assemble the salad. Place spinach in a large bowl. Drizzle about 1/3 cup of the dressing over the spinach. Toss well. Allow it to sit for a minute, then place spinach on a large serving platter, or divide onto individual plates. This allows the excess dressing to fall away.
- Place sliced beef on top of dressed spinach. Sprinkle with the crumbled bleu cheese. Serve immediately.
Visit the Website!
- The Thrillbilly Gourmet
Combining classic technique with everyday food for spectacular results!