Steamed Cake with Meat Filling Recipe – Cake without butter or Margarine, Healthy and Delicious !
Healthy Steamed Cake – Great for Breakfast
The steamed cake is spongy and the meat filling is so tasty, the end results is you will go for a second and third serving! Since it is a steamed cake, no butter or margarine is required at all. The only oil you need is cooking oil for stir frying the meat, and only 2 tablespoons of it. For healthier cooking oil, I strongly recommend the grape seed oil. Read further to understand the advantage of using grape seed oil.
If you do not want to use the meat filling, you can substitute it with any type of your preferred fruit jam, Nuttella, or just leave the filling out. Spread any type of jam, insert cheese slice or ham slice when you are ready to consume the cake.
Steamed Cake with Meat Filling Recipe
Ingredients A (Meat Filling)
200g minced meat (pork, beef or chicken)
4 shallots (chopped into tiny pieces)
3 cloves of garlic (chopped into tiny pieces)
1 tbsp of light soy sauce
½ tbsp of potato or corn starch
Pinch of pepper powder
Ingredients B (Cake)
150g castor sugar
1 tsp ovalette (or use condensed milk as substitute) – see below for more information on ovalette
70 ml milk
200g plain flour
4 tbsp water
A few drops of sesame oil
1 tbsp of chopped spring onion
Step 1 : Prepare the meat filling
- Season the minced meat with light soy sauce, corn starch and pinch of pepper powder to taste.
- Heat up about 2 tbsp of oil in a wok, stir fry chopped shallots, garlic until fragrant.
- Add in the seasoned minced meat. (Avoid overcooked, to keep the meat juicy)
- Add in Ingredients C
- Briefly stir fry and dish up.
- Set aside.
Step 2 : Make the Cake
- Beat egg, castor sugar and ovalette till fluffy.
- Gradually and slowly fold in milk and plain flour.
- Beat till smooth
- Divide the batter to two portions
- Pour the first portion into steaming tray
- Steam over medium heat for 15 minutes
- Remove steamed cake from the steamer
- Spread evenly the fried meat filling on top of the cake
- Sprinkle with chopped spring onions (Ingredients D).
- Pour the second portion of the batter over the meat. Spread it evenly.
- Steam the cake again over medium heat for 15 minutes.
- Remove the cake from the steamer
- Let the cake cool down before removing the cake from the tray.
- Cut into pieces and serve.
Substitute for Ovalette : Condensed Milk
What is Ovalette ?
Ovalette is commonly used emulsifier or stabilizer in making sponge cake. It helps to keep the batter airy. A small tablespoon of ovalette will give the cake a very light, soft and sponge-like cake. You can find it in Asian cake shop. They commonly used in Malaysia and Singapore. The ingredients of ovalette include: Monoglyceride, Polysorbate, Sorbitol, Polyglycerol, Propylene Glycol, Tartrazine and Water.
If you can't get a hold of ovalette, you can use condensed milk as substitute.
Health Benefits of Using Grape Seed Oil
Extensively used in world, especially by health-conscious people, grape seed oil is rich in proanthocyanidins (OPC) a compound that is high in antioxidants. It is fifty times more effective than Vitamin E and 20 times stronger than Vitamin C.
Antioxidants can be found in grape skins and seeds. They are more concentrated in red and black grapes. The oil is made by cold-pressing the grape seeds. It contains vitamins, minerals, proteins, lipids, antioxidants and carbohydrates. It also contains high quantities of Vitamin E and F, and also minerals like zinc potassium, copper, calcium, phosphorus, magnesium, iron and selenium.
Chinese Steamed Cake Making
Other Recipes You May Like
- Low Fat Carrot Cake Recipe - The Best I have Tasted ...
This low fat carrot cake is incredibly delicious, the best I have ever tasted. The cake is rich with flavour and moist, but no butter or margarine is used, only the healthy grape seed oil is required. Try the recipe, you won't regret !
- Savoury Steamed Pumpkin Cake Recipe – sugar-free,...
This sugar-free healthy cake makes you feel fuller longer and prevents overeating, and it is gluten-free !I like to make this cake for parties and gatherings, and friends often asked me for the recipe.
Cake Recipe Books You May Like
The text and all images on this page, unless otherwise indicated, are owned by Ingenira who hereby asserts her copyright on the material. Permission must be granted by the author in writing prior to copy or republish this article in print or online. However, please feel free to copy the first paragraph with a link back to this page. Thank you.
© Ingenira 2013