- Food and Cooking»
- Cooking Ingredients
Step-By-Step Guidelines to Make Garlic Pickle
Home-Made Garlic Pickle
Use Garlic Daily for Better Health
Why Garlic Pickle? How to Make it at Home :
Garlic pickle is pungent and aromatic. While peeling the cloves, lightly grease your fingers with oil to avoid the lingering bad smell of raw garlic. I made a small quantity of this pickle. You can make a larger quantity by multiplying the quantity of the ingredients according to your needs.
Having garlic pickle at home has many advantages. It makes the meal enjoyable. It also helps you to maintain good health as the ingredients used for making this pickle are nutritious and have medicinal properties. I used garlic, lemon juice, fenugreek seeds, mustard seeds, mustard oil, cumin seeds, red chili powder, turmeric powder, asafoetida/hing powder, some jaggery powder, and salt. If you look at the ingredients, you will be sure that this pickle is a healthy choice for anyone.
This home-made pickle takes about a week to set. Hence, use it after a week. Garlic pickle stays fresh for 3 months if stored in a glass jar or container. Place it in a cool and dry place. No need to refrigerate.
Keeping this pickle on your dining table is a wonderful idea. You can use a bit of it daily to tickle your taste buds.
Now, let me share the detailed recipe.
Ingredients for Making Garlic Pickle
- 3/4 cup garlic cloves, skin removed, small cloves preferred, if big, cut them lengthwise into two.
- 3-4 tbsp mustard oil, or coconut oil
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 1/2 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tbsp red chili powder
- 1 tsp or less powdered jaggery, I used half a teaspoon jaggery
- 3/4 tsp salt, or as per taste
- 2 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/4 tsp fenugreek seeds
- 1/4 tsp cumin seeds
- 1/4 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/4 tsp hing/asafoetida powder
Step-By-Step Instructions and Images for Making Garlic Pickle:
- Heat a deep-bottomed pan. Add 2 tsp mustard seeds, fenugreek (methi) seeds, cumin seeds, coriander seeds, and hing powder. Just warm them. Turn off the fire.
- Grind them together to get a fine powder. keep aside.
- In the same pan, pour mustard oil. Heat the pan. Throw in half a teaspoon of mustard seeds. Let them pop up. Add garlic cloves.
- Saute on a very low fire for 6 minutes or till they become golden brown. Add turmeric powder. Mix well.
- Now, add lemon juice. Let the mix boil for two minutes. Add chili powder. Stir the mix.
- Add powdered jaggery. Mix well. Let it boil and combine well with the other contents in the pan.
- Throw in salt. Stir once. Add ground spice mix. Saute for a minute. Turn off the stove. Keep the pan aside for cooling.
- When cools down, store the pickle in a glass jar. Consume it after a week. This pickle stays fresh for 3 months. No need to refrigerate.
- Eat this yummy garlic pickle as a side dish for meals! Enjoy the taste.
Nutritional Information of Garlic Pickle:
|Serving size: 1|
|Calories from Fat||9|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 1 g||2%|
|Saturated fat 1 g||5%|
|Carbohydrates 3 g||1%|
|Sugar 0 g|
|Fiber 0 g|
|Protein 1 g||2%|
|Cholesterol 0 mg|
|Sodium 580 mg||24%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|