- Food and Cooking»
- Quick & Easy Recipes
Step by Step Spanish Omelette Recipe, Tortilla Espanola
Rate this recipe
How to make an authentic Spanish Omelette recipe (Tortilla de Patatas)
Don't let the cook time below put you off, it may seem long, but most is waiting around for things to cool.
If you want to impress friends or family and do a Spanish tapas evening then you must include Tortilla de Patatas, or as called in English a Spanish Omelette.
I made one last Friday as part of a 'Tapas Evening' and everybody loved it.
Having lived in Spain for 12 years, I studied the food, and the Spanish Omelette is a tapa that can be found in any bar all over Spain, from the high North right down to the far South. Tapas are so simple, if you have the right ingredients, you will make an unforgettable meal.
Getting everything served hot and all together at the same time is difficult though, I would compare it to a fried breakfast. Most individual dishes are relatively easy to do, but serving all together is another story. Luckily with tapas, they are divided between hot and cold dishes, and the Spanish Omelette is also a dish which can be served as an individual course with a side salad.
In my recipes you will not see any microwaves being used however, to warm up precooked food. This has become common practice in many Spanish bars serving tapas.
All Photos on this page are my own, taken by myself peterb6001, excluding photos from Ad's and links.
Authentic Spanish Tortilla Omelette
- 5 eggs
- 5 potatoes
- 2 onions finely diced
- 5 garlic cloves finely diced
- salt to season
- pepper to season
Original Spanish tortilla 'how to' recipe with photo guide (Spanish Omelette Recipe)
- Peel and cube good frying potatoes and at the same time heat up oil in a frying pan. Season the potatoes, in their uncooked state they will absorb the salt and pepper. If done later, once cooked the seasoning will not penetrate them and they will be only seasoned on the outside.
- Because I am in the UK now I have chosen to use Rooster potatoes, if you can’t get these any high quality frying potatoes will be fine. I also use rape seed oil for frying,as it is environmentally friendly in the UK and has a great cooking temperature for this dish.
- Fry the potatoes for 15 or so minutes, adding the onion and garlic five minutes before the potatoes are soft.
- Drain the potatoes, garlic and onion on kitchen paper and allow to cool.
- Whisk the eggs and add to the cooled potatoes (make sure they are cool enough not cook the eggs, or they will scramble).
- Put a clean drizzle of olive oil in a large frying pan, gently heat and add the potato mixture.
- When the mixture starts to set, work a spatula around the edge and under the Spanish tortilla release it.
- Now for the tricky bit, place a plate over the omelette mixture and turn over, then slide back into the pan to cook the underneath.
- After another two or three minutes allow to set, then it will be ready for eating.