- Food and Cooking»
- World Cuisines»
- East Asian Cuisine
Stir-Fried Garlicky Shanghai Bok Choy. An Easy Vegetarian Dish
Here is a super simple recipe for one of the most Chinese beloved vegetable; Shanghai Bok Choy. This green belongs to cabbage family . Shanghai bok choy also called as baby bok choy or baby pak choy due to smaller size and less-mature version of bok choy. This Chinese cabbage has a unique spoon-like stems with pale green color. The best way to enjoy this cabbage is stir-fry. Emphasizing high heat, little amount of oil and seasoning will let the bok choy shine in. This method of cooking will yield crispy, tender, delicate and sweet in flavor veggies that you will love.
This recipe is very easy to follow. Nothing tricky or complicated about it. You just need to get this Chinese cabbage in your local grocers or Asian grocery. If you are vegetarian, you will love this dish. Simple, tasty but healthy since it is low in fat and high in fiber.
What You Need
12 oz Shanghai Bok Choy
2-4 cloves of garlic, smashed
1/3 tsp salt
1/3 tsp sugar
1 tbsp vegetable oil
1/3 tsp cornstarch
1/3 cup chicken broth
1 tbsp Chinese rice wine
2 tsp soy sauce
How to Fix
- Wash and rinse the bok choy in cold running water. Drain and pat them dry with paper towels. Separate the bok choy into stalks. Cut them into 2-inch long pieces. Discard any bad leaves or stalks.
- In a small glass bowl, combine rice wine, soy sauce, cornstarch, and chicken broth. Stir to combine. Set aside.
- Heat a heavy wok or skillet over high heat. Then add cooking oil to coat the wok sides. Then add garlic and stir-fry about 15 seconds or until the garlic is soft and fragrant. Add bok choy, sugar and salt. Cook about 1 minute or until the greens begin to wilt and change color. Pour in the broth mixture. Continue to stir-fry for about 1 minute or until the bok choy is tender but still crispy. Transfer to serving plate. Serve it warm.
Making Garlicky Baby Bok Choy
How to Chop Baby Bok Choy
Delicious Bok Choy
More Asian Recipes
- Cooking with Kids - Quick and Easy Chinese Sesame Peanut Noodles Recipe
- Easy and Healthy Vietnamese Papaya Salad Recipe (Goi Du Du)
- Indonesian Es Puter Kelapa - Traditional Coconut Ice Cream Recipe. How to Make Dairy Free Indonesian
- Easy Japanese Stuffed Mushroom (Shiitake Nikozume) Recipe
- Easy Stir-Fried Bok Choy with Tofu Recipe. How to make Chinese Stir fry!
- Vietnamese Mung Bean Sticky Rice (Xoi Vo) Recipe
- Easy Stir-Fried Eggs and Tomatoes Recipe