- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes»
- Dessert Cakes
Strawberry Angel Cake Recipe
Cakes will definitely be a favorite afternoon snack or dessert by many people. The light, moist, and crumbly texture is just irresistible. Topped with sweet and fluffy icing, cakes make for the most delectable and heavenly sweet delight we can ever eat in our lives. But we can all agree that eating too much cake can be bad for your health. It contains lots of calories which can eventually turn into fat and increase cholesterol levels in the body. This is why opting for Angel cake is a healthier alternative. It may not be the healthiest of all cakes but healthier because there are no egg yolks added and eating a small slice can already satisfy your sweet cravings. Here is a very easy and quick recipe to make angel cake. And to make it even more delectable, let's make strawberry angel cake instead.
- 1 cup cake flour, sifted and leveled
- 1/4 tsp salt, iodized
- 12 large egg whites, room temperature
- 1 tsp cream of tartar/ cornstarch
- 3 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup fresh milk, room temperature
- 5 cups all purpose flour, sifted, make sure there are no lumps
- 1 cup granulated white sugar
- 1 cup/225 g unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 cups granulated white sugar
- To make the angel cake: start by preheating your oven to 350 degrees F. There is no need for you to grease the pan. Just use an angel cake pan with removable bottom instead.
- On one bowl, sift together cake flour and salt. Set them aside.
- On a separate bowl, combine together egg whites and cream of tartar. Beat them on high until soft peaks form. Gradually add the 1 1/4 cups of sugar. Continue to beat until stiff peaks form. Add 2 tsp vanilla extract and mix for a few more seconds.
- Sift a few of the flour mixture to the egg white mixture and use the folding method to combine. Use a rubber spatula for this method. Make sure the flour mixture is well incorporated to the egg mixture before adding more of the flour mixture. Continue folding until all the flour mixture is combined with the egg white mixture.
- Gently pour the mixture to an angel food cake pan with removable bottom and make sure to smooth the top for a nice outcome.
- Take a small knife and cut through the batter a few times just to release some of the air bubbles.
- Bake the cake until it is golden brown or until the center become springy when pressed. This will take about 30-45 minutes. Once the cake is ready, invert the pan and let it cool.
- To release the cake from the pan, take the knife again and run it around the edge of the cake. Take a plate and cover the cake pan with it. Invert the cake and let it slide down to the pan.
- To make the icing: Mix together the milk and 5 tbsp of flour. Whisk them together in a saucepan until well combined. Then, place the saucepan over medium heat and continue mixing until you form a very thick consistency. Let the mixture cool for a while. Add the 1 tsp of vanilla extract to the cooled milk mixture. Stir the mixture well.
- On a separate bowl, combine the 1 cup of sugar and 1 cup of butter. Whip the two together using a mixer until it is light and fluffy. Make sure to scrape down the sides of mixing bowl to make sure all are well combined.
- Gradually add the milk mixture to the butter mixture. Make sure that the milk mixture has completely cooled otherwise it will melt the butter. Once all the milk mixture are already poured, whip the mixture together on medium-high until you form a whipped cream-like consistency. This should only take about 45 seconds. DO NOT OVERBEAT!
- Spread the icing to your angel cake and top it off with fresh strawberries.