- Food and Cooking
Strawberry Rhubarb Frozen Yogurt
A hot day deserves a cool treat. This recipe was inspired by our friends at Plow Creek Farms, who produce Certified Naturally Grown strawberries, rhubarb and wildflower honey amongst other coveted produce and grass-fed meats. Refreshingly sweet and slightly tart, this frozen yogurt is simple, creamy deliciousness.
Note: if you're looking for a quick frozen treat, you can use frozen strawberries from the grocery store, omit the rhubarb and add 1 Tablespoon of freshly squeezed lemon juice - but this recipe features ingredients fresh from the farmer's market.
The full recipe requires preparation a day ahead of time to freeze the strawberries and make the rhubarb puree. If you're using pre-frozen strawberries from the store, without the rhubarb, total time is 5 minutes.
- 1 pound (approx. 4 cups) fresh strawberries, rinsed, hulled and frozen
- 3 stalks rhubarb, rinsed, trimmed and chopped into small pieces
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (from two oranges)
- 4 oz. (1/2 cup) Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup wildflower honey
- A pinch of salt
- Rinse, drain and hull the fresh strawberries. Pat dry with a paper towel, and place in a freezer bag, removing all of the excess air before sealing. Let freeze over night.
- Combine the rhubarb, orange juice and a pinch of salt in a saucepan and simmer until the rhubarb is fork soft, about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cool, puree the rhubarb mixture in a food processor or blender, until smooth. Add Greek yogurt and honey, blending well. Transfer to an airtight container and chill in the refrigerator for up to 4 hours or overnight.
- Place the frozen strawberries and the rhubarb, yogurt, honey mixture into a food processor or blender and process until creamy, about 5 minutes. The frozen yogurt will be slightly tart. For a sweeter treat, add more honey. If it seems runny, place in an airtight container and chill in the freezer for an hour.
- If you're using pre-frozen strawberries and omitting the rhubarb, combine the strawberries, yogurt, honey and 1 Tablespoon of fresh lemon juice in the food processor or blender and process for about 5 minutes or until creamy.
- Serve immediately or transfer to an airtight container and store it in the freezer for up to 1 month.