- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Strawberry Shortcake Cookies Recipe
Of the millions of cookies that exist in the world, some of the most amazing are actually based on cake. In fact, the word cookie comes from the word cake in dutch. So what could be better than a Strawberry Shortcake Cookie? This cookie is a lot like a small and portable cake. I often use it to impress friends and family, or to use for a quick gift when I need something fast to make and take to someone. However they only last about a day - not that they aren't eaten that fast, but try not to store them for longer than a day.
|Serving size: 32g|
|Calories from Fat||36|
|% Daily Value *|
|Fat 4 g||6%|
|Saturated fat 10 g||50%|
|Carbohydrates 12 g||4%|
|Cholesterol 10 mg||3%|
|Sodium 61 mg||3%|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 2 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice, optional
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons old unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- sanding sugar for sprinking
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Combine your strawberries, lemon juice (optional), and 2 tablespoons granulated sugar in a bowl. Whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, and remaining 7 tablespoons granulated sugar in a large bowl. Rub the butter in to the mixture with your fingers until the mixture is the consistency of coarse crumbs. Stir in the cream until the dough starts to come together and then stir in strawberry mixture. [We do the strawberries last to make it so the fruit doesn't stain the cookie.]
- Drop your dough onto baking sheets lined with parchment, spacing evenly apart by using either an ice cream scoop (1 1/2 inches is nice) or a pair of tablespoons. Sprinkle with sanding sugar and bake until golden brown: 24 to 25 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack and (THE HARDEST PART) let cool. Cookies are best served immediately but can be stored in an airtight container at room temperature for up to a day. I prefer to serve with a scoop of ice cream or just a nice cold glass of milk!
Other Strawberry Cookies
If you are looking for other kinds of strawberry cookies, you might look on the internet for more recipes. Some good ones are a simple thumbprint cookie with strawberry filling, a strawberry napoleon, and another good strawberry cookie - the strawberry chocolate chip strawberry. In fact, you could take a simple sugar cookie, add strawberries and chocolate chips, and you have an amazing chocolate strawberry cookie!
Good Eats The Cookie Clause (Sugar Cookies)
If you are unfamiliar with baking cookies, you might want to take a few minutes to learn a bit about cookies. One of the simplest cookies - the sugar cookie, is actually the base for many, many cookies. Though the Strawberry Shortcake cookie is more of a cake, if you know what you are doing you might have a fun time trying to figure out how to condense it down into more of a cookie.
However, just for fun and a good amount of information, I suggest watching Alton Brown's Good Eats Season 7 Episode 12: The Cookie Clause (Sugar Cookies). Now, unfortunately it is horribly cheesy. However, if you like that sort of thing it is a very entertaining episode to watch and there is a lot of information that you can use.
I hope you have been inspired to take a crack at your own recipe! Enjoy!