Quinoa Turkey Loaf
- 1/4 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup water or low sodium veggie or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, chopped
- 1 large clove garlic, chopped
- 1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey (low fat)
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Frank's hot sauce
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg or two egg whites
- 1 cup chopped spinach
- 1/2 red or yellow bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- Bring the quinoa and water or broth to a boil in a saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and cover and simmer for about 10-15 minutes or until the quinoa is tender and the liquid has been absorbed . Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion; cook and stir until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and spinach or kale, cook for another minute; remove from heat to cool.
- Combine the turkey, cooked quinoa, garlic, spinach or kale & bell peppers, onions, tomato paste, hot sauce, Worcestershire, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. It will be quite moist which is good!
- Shape into a loaf on a baking sheet or loaf pan. Bake about 50 minutes or all the pink is gone (160 degrees). Allow to cool for about 10 minutes, slice and serve! *you can also add shredded cheese to the top....place it back in the oven on broil for about 5 min!