- Food and Cooking»
- Dietary Restrictions»
- Dietary Restrictions for Health
Gluten Free Sugar Cookies
Who doesn't love a wonderfully soft and sweet sugar cookie every now and then?! This is my must-have cookie when I start to bake for the holidays, and sometimes, just because I'm in the mood! After one failed recipe attempt, I found a gluten free recipe by Betty Crocker and tweaked it to be dairy free as well. So, second time's a charm...?
Prep & Cook Time
2 1/2 cups gluten-free flour (I used Pamela's Artisan Flour Blend)
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon xanthan gum
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup butter alternative (1 1/2 sticks or 12 tablespoons, I used Earth Balance)
1 cup sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
This is a recipe modified from Betty Crocker's website. I didn't use any shortening, adjusted the amount of butter alternative, and added some xanthan gum.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder, xanthan gum and salt. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine butter and sugar with a mixer (I used an electric hand mixer). Add the egg and vanilla until blended well. Slowly add the dry mixture to the wet ingredients until uniform.
- Divide the dough in half and cover in plastic wrap. Refrigerate for at least 40 minutes, or as long as an hour. I waited an hour, but had to let the dough warm up for a bit after I took it out.
- Preheat the oven to 375 °F. Sprinkle a clean surface (I used my countertop) with flour, then roll the dough to about 1/4" thick. I used parchment paper on top, so the dough wouldn't stick to the roller. Break out your cookie cutters to create desired shapes, then place on parchment-lined cookie sheets.
- Bake 10-12 minutes, depending how soft or crunchy you like your cookie. I did mine at 10 minutes for a softer sugar cookie.
Handle with Care
Just a fair warning, these cookies can be more on the delicate side. Let them cool on the baking sheet for about 5 to 10 minutes before moving them to a cooling rack. A few of my snowflake cookies lost some pointed tips- I learned the hard way!