- Food and Cooking»
- Vegetarian & Vegan Recipes
Summer Blackberry & Raspberry Chia Seed Jam
Summer blackberry and raspberry chia seed jam? Don't mind if I do!
I love jam. I'll eat it by the spoonfuls, on breads or toast, pastries and cakes or even banana nice cream. That's right I said it! I'm crazy for it! Summer brings fresh bountiful berries for my eyes and mouth to indulge in. What better why to satisfy any berry lover with a sweet tooth than a homemade rustic jam? Well I can't think of any!
This recipe has an unexpected ingredient that I would have never have thought to make a jam or spread out of.. the almighty chia seed. The chia seed is rich in omega-3 fats, full of fibre and super easy to add into your diet. Chia seed is all the rave with its versatile way to slip into almost any recipe, even this one. In fact this recipe stars our friend chia, and without it the jam would just not be the same.
If you love a jam that's vegan, healthy, flavourful and berry good (that's right, I went there) and the right amount of sweetness, you've stopped by the right place.
Even my skeptical husband who was watching the process, couldn't even wait long enough for the jam to cool before it became a topping for his toast! I feel this would be easy recipe to change out the berries for whatever fruit you wish, and make an excellent gift for housewarming, holidays or any occasion!
Here's the recipe:
- 4 Cups Blackberries
- 2 Cups Raspberries
- 6 Tablespoons Blue Agave or Maple Syrup
- 1/4 Cup Chia Seeds
- Shredded Coconut, optional
- 3 Teaspoons Pure Vanilla Extract
- Over medium heat in a large saucepan, simmer your blackberries and raspberries with the loving spoonfuls of agave, stirring frequently.
- Let simmer and bubble for about five minutes time, or until the berries have soften, but still have texture.
- Gently mash your berries until your desired look is achieved!
- Lower heat to medium-low, and add in your chia seeds slowly stirring together.
- Let the jam gently simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the jam has thickened(Don't worry, it thickens while cooling!)
- Remove your saucepan from the stove and add in your vanilla, stir until well combined and sprinkle the shredded coconut on top! (This is optional)
- Store your jam in a tight fitted mason jar, and refrigerate until needed!
I can only hope you enjoy this gem of jam as much as I did! Feel free to add more sweetness if you prefer, or use whatever berry is your favourite! This jam is so versatile, and easy that I think it will be a new staple in our kitchen.. always.
Enjoy it in all it's glory!
© 2016 Samantha Jones