- Food and Cooking»
- Dessert Recipes
Summer Fresh Tomato Cake
Don't waste your bumper crop
Soon we all will be over run with our bumper crop of Tomatoes. This dessert cake is a unique way to use some of them up. Topped with Cream Cheese Frosting it is similar to Carrot Cake.
I changed it up a bit.
I didn't peel the tomatoes, but instead, I pureed them.
I didn't add raisins or dates, but doubled the walnuts.
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 whole large eggs
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ripe tomatoes, peeled
- 1/2 cup walnuts, chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup dates, chopped, optional
- 1/2 cup raisins, chopped, optional
- Cream/mix sugar and shortening. Add eggs, one at a time and mix well. Add all dry ingredients, mix well Stir in tomatoes, nuts, dates, and raisins.
- Place into greased and floured 9x13 baking pan. Bake in 350'F oven for 35 minutes or until cake tests done with toothpick. Frost with Cream Cheese frosting.